Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 am   Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

Well, as if my Koi mts wasnt enough, we just adopted a 3 yo res! She is currently in a 100g tank on our front deck. A big girl at about 11 inches long, with an outgoing and curious personality.
Dont have any major issues so far, but we are having what seems to be a mini cycle. Her tank came with rocks and some riverrock substrate, but im not sure how long it had been torn down. She had only one underwater filter rated for a 40 gallonand tank, so Im sure her water quality was far from ideal. Today I vacummed and did a pwc, then several hours later en tested her water. Ammonia was zero, but nitrates were around .35! I dosed the water with prime when i replaced the 50 percent with the water change. I dosed again with 2 capfuls of prime and STILL got the same nitrite reading! Ugh! It took a long time to get all my koi tanks cycled and now Im starting all over again! Tomorrow im going to seed her filters....i added a hagen underwater filter......with some established medium from my other tanks. Then I guess Ill do daily wc's until its stabilized. i do have a question about a tankmate for her. Since she is outside and has lots of algae growth, would love to put one of my larger sized plecos in with her. Would this be a problem? The pleco is 6-7 inches long, so - dont think he will endup being a meal for her, and since plecs prefer warmer water, he may be better off there than in my cooler carp tanks! Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! I
AZRiverrat

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:24 pm   Re: Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

Welcome to the forum! What kind of tank does she have? Does Pwc mean power wash? You can probably use the pleco, but he will end up as dinner down the line. I'd make sure he has plenty of hiding spaces.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:46 pm   Re: Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

Thanks so much for the welcome, Steve!
Right now she is in a 100G standard glass aquarium. Ive got my eye on our empty hot tub sitting out back tho. I want to dig a hole and sink it about 2 1/2 feet, line it with a piece of old carpet, then put a regular pond liner in. That would make it about 250-300g. Its square with a seat ledge all around and I think it would be PERFECT for her!
PWC-Partial water change :wink:
Ive done a bit of reading her on plecos as tankmates, and Im leaning towards NOT putting him in with her. I do have 3 BN plecos that do a fabulous job of de-alginating tho....and they are all about 6 months old...young enough where they havent become lazy like my older common pleco. They are still really small too. The largest being about 3 inches long. I might let them cruise the tank for a few hours or so to see how it goes. If it goes ok, I could let them buffet in there when the algae gets thick, but I definitely wouldnt house them permanently with her. I LOVE my LIL BNS...They have such great personalities and are actually active durning the day. UNLIKE my lazy old common poopers!
Ill post pics soon!
AZRiverrat

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:51 am   Re: Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

An old hot tub sounds like a great idea, looking forward to seeing the pics soon!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 pm   Re: Hi all! Newbie here from the az/ca/nv border

She looks very good!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.