Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Yorker dropping in to say hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:14 am   New Yorker dropping in to say hello

Hey everyone! I was searching Wikipedia last night for RESs when the page linked to this website! I've had my RES, Speedy, for about . . . 3 or 4 years, I think? When I found the main website and then the forum I felt so rotten, because I have been neglecting my poor RES for so long! Now I feel his tank is way too small, I need a basking dock and a basking lamp for him, smooth river rocks covering the bottom of his tank instead of the waaay overused gravel I'm using now, possibly some snails to clean up after him, real water plants or at least a few more fake ones . . . So much poor Speedy is missing out on! :( Guess I really have to start saving money for the little guy so his tank can look half as good as the ones I've seen in the photo gallery.

Whew, this website and forum are life-savers!
Turtle, turtle!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:28 am   

Hi and Welcome.. :)

Try not to be overwhelmed by the changes you need to make. Make the most important ones first and as you get the money, make others. You can always subsitute a glass tank with a rubbermaid/sterlite plastic container until you can afford a larger glass aquarium (if that's what you want).. but they need proper lighting and a basking area to prevent many illnesses. I'd take the gravel out immediately to prevent him from eating it and causing impaction.

The best advice I can give you, is to shop around online for the best prices and buy as big as you can to save on upgrades. Depending on the sex of your turtle... males grow up to 9".. and females up to 12".. the larger the tank you can afford will save you money in the long haul.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:47 pm   

Welcome to the forum... so glad that you and Speedy have found the forum. Let us know if you need any help or have any questions. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:22 pm   

wow, this place is linked on wikipedia? awesome

Welcome. I hope you can get the changes soon, feel free to ask questions.

oh, and why didn't anyone mention this? WE LOVE PICS
Elliott
ellman605

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.