Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New RES caregiver

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 pm   New RES caregiver

I cant promise to keep this short as it is a long story. I work at an Animal Shelter. Someone gave up a hatchling RES named Clarence. We could not find Clarence a home so he/she (too soon to tell) came home with me. I have loved Turtles since I was a little girl (many many years ago lol) but I love them in the wild. I had alot to learn very quickly. My first purchase (and mistake) was a turtle tank kit and 30$ worth of subtrate (which is now in a 5 gallon bucket behind my house). Keep in mind I work at an Animal shelter. You do not work there for the big bucks. Anyway...a few weeks later I decide Clarence needs a 50 gallon tank. New filter, new everything....I donated the turtle tank to a fellow employee who took on 2 other little hatchlings that were given up. Evidently they were being sold at a local flea market and when people realized how much care was involved they brought them to us. THEN someone brings in a female RES, SCL about 5". I volunteer to foster her until they can place her in rescue. I was terrified she would eat my little Clarence but they got on thick as theives. It appears she (Gussie) might be staying. It did not take long to realize a 50 gal tank was not going to be sufficient. SO....I now have a 150 gal tank sitting in the middle of my 1000 sq foot house (craigs list) and a filstar xp4 on order. I have no idea what I am doing but I am doing my best with what I have learned thus far. It is nice to know you are all here for advice and support and I am sure I will be picking your brains ALOT in the future. My main concern right now is that the Filstar XP4, while sufficient for Gussie, will be to powerful for Clarence. Thank you for any advice in advance.
twoam

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:09 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Wow, welcome to the forum. That is really a great story!
Happy to help, just ask!
3 Beautiful RES- Charlie, Franklin and Sheldon
1 Tabby Mix - Simba
xfallwithmexo

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Welcome to the site! Could you cancel the XP4? I would suggest the FX5 which more powerful, but you can make some modifications to make it safer for both turtles. Actually it'll work for any type of canister filter... filter guards, custom intake tubes, prefilter foam, etc...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 am   Re: New RES caregiver

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!
Don't worry about keeping things short - we aren't Twitter or Facebook :)
I write mini novels (sorry folks)
Say whatever you need to say to get you point across or help others answer your question :)
I find the key is in the title, not the content.
Best wishes!!!!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 am   Re: New RES caregiver

Welcome!
RosesNKeeks

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

steve wrote:Welcome to the site! Could you cancel the XP4? I would suggest the FX5 which more powerful, but you can make some modifications to make it safer for both turtles. Actually it'll work for any type of canister filter... filter guards, custom intake tubes, prefilter foam, etc...

Ironicly, If we had known in the beginning, what we do now (which still isnt alot lol) and not wasted so much money on upgrading, the Fluval would have been our first choice. We found the XP4 on sale and it is on its way. We would like to get a back up filter as soon as possible. Maybe the the XP4 will graduate to that status if I can ever afford the Fluval. On the way to work today all I could think about was making some sort of little non-corrasive cage around the intake tube. I am NOT a crafty person. I dont even cook. So this sort of thinking surprised me lol. I guess when it comes to our animals we do anything we can for them. Everything has happened so fast that it seems a bit overwelming at times. Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice :)
twoam

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:51 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

You can use a PVC tube with some holes drilled into it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

twoam wrote:I work at an Animal Shelter. Someone gave up a hatchling RES named Clarence. We could not find Clarence a home so he/she (too soon to tell) came home with me.

This is exactly why I couldn't work for an Animal Shelter. I love animals too much and would want to bring home every animal that couldn't find a new home, especially the reptiles. My wife would not be happy with me :)

Welcome to the forum. Raising turtles can be a lot of trial and error. I've owned many turtles,Eastern Painteds, Common Snappers, Alligator Snappers, RES, Yellow Bellied Sliders, Musk & Mud turtles and box turtles and I have learned that even within each species, all turtles are not created equal. What works for one may not work for another.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

michaelg wrote:
twoam wrote:I work at an Animal Shelter. Someone gave up a hatchling RES named Clarence. We could not find Clarence a home so he/she (too soon to tell) came home with me.

This is exactly why I couldn't work for an Animal Shelter. I love animals too much and would want to bring home every animal that couldn't find a new home, especially the reptiles. My wife would not be happy with me :)

Welcome to the forum. Raising turtles can be a lot of trial and error. I've owned many turtles,Eastern Painteds, Common Snappers, Alligator Snappers, RES, Yellow Bellied Sliders, Musk & Mud turtles and box turtles and I have learned that even within each species, all turtles are not created equal. What works for one may not work for another.

-Michael

I know what you mean. That is exactly why I have 1 evil Chihuahua, 1 Neurotic Chihuahua, 1 3 legged Chihuahua, 1 90 pound Pit, 1 semi-feral cat 2 Turtles and misc fosters lol. I love it though.

The Filstar XP4 arrived today. I am very excited to get them in the new tank but the first dissapointment was that the intake is in soooooo many pieces (even if I silicone the peices together, somehow I can see the larger of the 2 turtles tearing the pieces apart as she is very frisky) and is too short. Going to Lowes tomorrow to find something more sufficent. I guess when they make these filter parts they are thinking "fish" not turtles. I came to realize very quickly that nothing is really geared toward turtle habitats so you have to re-think and re-do A LOT.

The information you all have provided on here has been invaluable. From skin shedding to laying eggs...lots of great information that has sort of helped me feel not so panicky in trying to care for these critters. :)

I do have one small question that dosnt really belong in this thread but I hate to start a new one for just this....For just a bit, the new tank will only be filled with about 100 gal of water.....the filter holds much more media then is needed. Would it be best to fill the filter media to capacity reguardless of the amount of water or use just the recommended amount per gal? I bought enough media as if I were filtering the max gallons if need be. Thanks!
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:21 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Welcome! Sounds like you have quite a busy home. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. ;)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 am   Re: New RES caregiver

You can make a PVC guard or just substitute the whole thing with PVC.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Very discouraged.

Could not find PVC or electrical pipe to fit. We got some plastic tubing but I can see Gussie making this her new toy, ripping it apart and Clarence getting stuck to it. The spray bar sits way to high. Worried about when aggression might appear and they have to seperated before I even learn how to set up one proper habitat. And then I read that charcoal really isnt needed after I bought all this blasted media. I still dont know if I should use all the media the filter can hold or just what is recommended for the gallons of water I will be using. Sometimes it feels a very daunting task to try and make a good life for these creatures when you have no idea what you are doing. Thanks for listening to my rant.
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:36 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Is the kind you bought activated carbon? That would be good to use. Maybe a local hardware store would have more choices for PVC?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:02 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

steve wrote:Is the kind you bought activated carbon? That would be good to use. Maybe a local hardware store would have more choices for PVC?

Still checking the hardware stores but no luck so far with the diameter we need.
I purchased enough Bio Chem Zorb pouches and Bio Chem stars to fill the XP4 to capacity even though I will initially only have approx. 100 gallons of water in the tank. The foam filters were included. The Bio Chem Zorb does say that it includes activated carbon. I feel so extremely stupid trying to muddle through this. Does anyone else ever use plastic tubing for the intake or is this just a disaster?
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Steve

I'm married to twoam. I've tried to find PVC that would be compatible with the molded intake that came with our XP4. However, the tube required is a 5/8 dia and nothing will match the pre-molded intake head ( the head being the part that goes over the top of the tank and attaches to the intake tube to the filter. If you have a suggestion on where to find PVC in that dia to work, I'm all ears. I have thought of making the head but someone has mentioned that the joints could leak air. I know this could happen but I can't see any other options. I am open to suggestions.
WarChief

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.