Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New to forum

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:15 pm   New to forum

Hello, my name is Priscilla. I am a long-time herper in Houston, Texas. I did reptile rescue for several years and that's how I ended up with my pets. I no longer rescue, as I am disabled and it just takes too much out of me, but I still love reptiles and help out other people who have them.

I currently live with one ornate box turtle, Rex, who was a rescue in 1997, one RES, Al, rescued as a hatchling in 2000 (my last rescue, ever) and my red-tailed boa constrictor. I have rehabbed many box turtles, they were my start in recue.

I recently moved to a place with a yard and for the first time my RES is living outdoors. I joined this forum just out of interest. It looks like a neat place!

- Priscilla
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:19 pm   

Welcome! Glad to have an experienced keeper aboard! (And we love pics.)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:19 pm   

Welcome Priscilla!
Just curious, but how do you go about rescuing reptiles?
That's an amazing thing to do and shows real caring.
Plus, I bet you'll have great stories for your grandkids. :)
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:16 pm   

Well, it started with a box turtle named Felicity. She belonged to some friends of mine, who had received her from a friend of THEIRS when he moved out of state.

He had found her wandering in the street one day, and picked her up and took her home. Eventually he gave her to these other people, and they kept her on a shelf. Yes, on a shelf. They kept her on a shelf, with books, because she almost never moved. And they thought that was totally normal. They never bothered to do any research on how to care for a turtle. They fed her about every two weeks, and the only food they ever gave her was strawberry. She ate the strawberries, but with no heat not light I am amazed that she stayed alive, and she lived that way for YEARS.

I have always been an animal lover, and at that time I already had my snake. I was really distressed by the condition in which this turtle was being kept. I asked a local reptile breeder what a box turtle should eat, and he said nightcrawlers were a good first step. So I bought some nightcrawlers, and went to my friends' house and dropped them off. I suggested they offer them to the turtle. She ate them up like crazy and they were HORRIFIED that this sweet little creature could be a carnivore... then they put her back on the shelf.

They had dropped little hints that I should take the turtle, because she became active when I was around (and I think that deep inside they knew that they were doing a bad job), and so I did some research on how to care for a turtle, assembled my necessities, and called one day to say "I am coming to get the turtle." I took her home with me and straight to the vet. She was vitamin A deficient, calcium deficient, and had some intestinal parasites. I nursed her back to health, giving here cod liver oil to boost her vitamin A, varying her foods (she was a very picky eater) and got to know her. She totally blossomed; within 2 weeks she went from a fearful creature that never moved to an active and friendly turtle who would climb your foot for attention and stomp on her water dish, to make it clank, when she wanted to soak.

That was the beginning... some months later I was in the local reptile store and I ran into my vet. We were chatting about Felicity and the store's new owner said "You rehab box turtles? That's really hard! If I gave you these three turtles, could you get them back to health?" and he gave me three sick boxies. He had just bought the store and found these three sick turtles, 2 ornates and one 3-toed, being neglected in a back room. One of those was Rex, who is out in my backyard right now :) I took them home and my then-BF and I nursed two back to health... one, the sickest, held on for months and started to recover, but then he suddenly went downhill and died. It was devastating.

So anyway, I started helping sick reptiles, and people knew me, and so they started bringing them to me or calling me. Word got around (people still come up to me and say "Are you the reptile girl?") Most of them I nursed back to health and then rehomed. All of my spare income went to vet bills and reptile care. I ordered supplies mail-order, including crickets by the thousand.

Felicity died in 2000. I don't know why. She seemed to be relatively young, but she was very wise, and maybe she was much older than we knew; maybe her years of neglect and mistreatment shortened her life span. I still miss her.

I still try to help reptiles by educating people, and by connecting good people who want herps with people who want to give them away. I don't take them in anymore, though, because I just haven't the energy (or the money.) In fact, I gave up three of my personal box turtles for adoption in 2003, because I was so sick that I could not care for them. They were juveniles that I had adopted as hatchlings back in 1998 and I had never really bonded with them as I had with other turtles, and now they have better homes.

I love animals, but reptiles, I think, not only get a bad rap but are often neglected or abused. That's why my energy started going in that direction. Plus, I just love them. I am not a collector: they are unique and special individuals to me. I've been rewarded with great relationships with some wonderful critters.

Wow, that was long-winded. But that's how you go about rescuing reptiles :)

Thanks for the welcome!
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:25 pm   

steve wrote:Welcome! Glad to have an experienced keeper aboard! (And we love pics.)

Thanks for the welcome! And here are some pics, that I could rustle up on short notice. I really need to take some more pics of my guys.

Here is a pic of Al, taken in March of 2004:

Here's one from July of 2004, showing off his then-new turtle dock:

And here's one from October of 2000, when I first got him. Note the powerstrip in the background, for scale: he was tiny! That's pea gravel underneath him!

I am an experienced herper, but I am still pretty new to keeping my turtles outdoors, so I am sure I have a lot to learn :)
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:08 pm   

Wow! I wish I had the money (and wisdom) to do something like that.
I only have one turtle right now that I took partly because she was sick, but I am having trouble affording her.
Of course...I'm still in school and once I start my job this summer I hope to get money and update her set-up.

If I can learn more I hope I can do the same as you did and help little critters in need. :)

That's amazing that you took that challenge on like that!
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:13 pm   

Welcome to Turtle Talk!
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:21 pm   

Well, Sara, sometimes I wish I had had more wisdom, because I didn't have any money. ALL of my spare income went to reptile care and I had no savings, nothing. I scraped by, because I was spending several hundred a month on these critters.

I can't say I regret it, though: it was something I felt called to do and so I did it. And I have Rex to show for it :) And several lovely animals have loving homes.

Sara, what are you having trouble affording? I can tell you from experience that lighting is usually much less expensive when you mail order it; Big Apple Herpetological is my favorite source. (I recommend Mercury vapor lamps over flourescent ones, btw.) My favorite filter/heater for aquatic turtle use can be had for about $50; it has a 2-year warranty and my last one lasted for three years. And of course, NEVER buy light fixtures from a pet store or pet supplier; buy them at the hardware store!

There are ways to get things at a discount, and avoiding chain pet shops is one of those ways. The net and catalogs are a great way to save money.

Is your turtle still sick?

- Priscilla
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:35 pm   

petsmart is very good chain supplier, especially after you get a "pet perks" card, which is the same as a grocery card, no charge, just discount. Some thins i saw save $2.00, some save over $100. Amazing, i guess its something where the more discount, the more customers, the more profit :D
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:39 pm   

I have a pet perks card, but it's really not a significant savings, imo. On what do you save $100?

I use it when I purchase cat food and herp food now, but if you are buying in high volume, or buying a pricey item like a Mercury vapor lamp, mail-order is always less expensive. Nowadays, I am not buying in high volume, so I buy food at Petsmart and only mail order expensive things like lights.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:48 pm   

whats is imo? it was some tanks, a some doggie stuff, stuff like that.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 pm   

imo- "in my opinion." :)
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:55 pm   

Bobbi came with a broken tank and we are getting a new one tomorrow, but only a 10gal again.
It's because (like I said) I'm still in high school and don't have a job so my parents are buying my stuff.
But no, I have the money for Bobbi.
and am hoping to take in his little find Billy but they'd have to be in the 10 gal together (though they were before.)
Billy is in about the same condition that Bobbi was to begin with
But I think they'd do okay in the 10 gal for awhile anyway.

It's sort of a long story, but both turts have been together for awhile (seperated now)
Bobbi is way better.
Her shell even got it's color back!
When we got her her tank was broken, she had no lights, she had little gravel and her tank was hardly ever cleaned.

lol My thoughts are so random today. Hope you can understand this post.
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:56 pm   

craigslist.org i got my 50 gallon for $50 there, really good.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:05 pm   

Welcome to the forum reptilegrrl. Love the pics. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.