Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New-b....

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:43 pm   New-b....

Hey Hey!
I'm new here, obviously. :) I came here because my turtle is sick! :( *tears* She's better though.
My name is Sarah....obviously again.
Hm...I have nothing to say...
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:31 pm   

Welcome! What kind of sickness is your turt suffering from? There are a lot of great resources on this site, so feel free to ask if you have any questions. And again, welcome!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:33 pm   

My turtle is "anorexic"
We can't get her to eat.
The vet said to give it a few more days.
She was slightly more active today after we gave her a heat lamp.
If she doesn't start eating we are going to have to "donate" her to the vets office so they can fix her, since we can't afford it right now.
It's better to have her alive and not have her than not alive...
Thanks for the welcome!
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:24 am   

It takes turts time to adjust to their new surroundings. When I first brought my turts home, it took them about 5 days before they would start eating. Don't give up hope too soon. The proper set-up is also crucial. I read your other post, so when you start getting the rest of the materials that you need, it may help as well. Good Luck!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:37 pm   

Also, just abandoning her at a vet may not be the right move, especially since the vet may not be a herp vet and will not know her history, which may be important for her to receive proper care. If you are still trying to get her to eat and are successful,. just don't over do it because you don't want to cause a sudden growth spurt. Keep things gradual.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:53 pm   

You said in another post that you were going to try earthworms, which is a good choice. Keep trying things that move and things that smell. Bloodworms are also often good for tempting turtles to eat (I've used the frozen ones that are nutritionally enriched and have no parasites). If your turtle is truly anorexic, I'd even try a little cat/dog food (this isn't good nutritionally, but getting your turtle to eat is the number one thing right now). Keep your turtle warm--basking area 88-90F and get that submersible water heater to keep the temp at 78-80F.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:46 pm   

Good luck with your turtle. *hugz*
mistyriouswayz

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 pm   

Bobbi is better, which those of you who are reading my other post know.
Well....she's eating anyway! We are going to get her a new tank before too long and an underwater heater. My food instructions say to feed her three times daily...which I think is wrong. Plus, I'm feeding her other things (trying to anyway) We are going to get her Romaine lettuce I think tomorrow and probably try feeding her a bananna again in the next few days. I belive I can feed her veggies daily...and "meat" once every two to three days.
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:30 pm   

A banana? I read somewhere that bananas contain too much phosphorus(sp?) and can be addictive to turtles. Well, I guess if u're just trying to get her to eat it's cool. Please ask someone who knows whether this is a good idea first though.
mistyriouswayz

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 pm   

You don't want bananas to be a routine part of a turtles diet for the reasons listed above. And you are right about feeding anything with protein (pellets, live foods) no more than every other day with older turtles. Veggies are ok daily and be sure to add a variety of veggies to the menu.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:58 pm   

hm....I feel so bad not feeding her everyday now that she's eating! haha
So...veggies...like can corn and stuff? Cooked? wow...so much I don't know.
And when you do feed her the pellets, how many? I fed her 3 today.

Okay...I'm happy though, she's better off here. She is already looking and acting so much better than she was at school. I hope she grows to her normal size as well.

So fruit shouldn't be fed too often or just bannanas? What about apple slices?
Oh my....lol
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:06 am   

I'd not feed a turtle canned food because of the salt content. You're better off with fresh foods or frozen, higher nutritional value. Fruit is considered a treat not a daily or even weekly food. I think that's what it says in the what to feed list :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:13 am   

What to feed list...sounds like something I need to check out.
Frozen food I can definetly handle though! :)
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.