Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Whats in a Name...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:50 pm   Whats in a Name...

Howdy Y'all

Well since I'm a newbie to the turtle arena I guess I should introduce myself.

I have 2 RES', Names to be determined. I voted for Tank and Hummer. That was veto'd by the Fam. They liked Myrtle and Franklin :roll: but are still undecided

One is about 4 inches long the other about 3 in. The little one is very friendly and very active. The larger likes his privacy unless food is involved.

They seem very happy to swimming, basking and eating.

The family and I need help picking name. So Please suggest away.
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:02 pm   

Hi. If none of the names you mentioned pans out, does anything about their appearance stand out? I've named turtles by observing their behavior for a while since they do have distinct personalities/behavior (as you indicated); something usually comes to mind.

If you're not sure of their sex, you might want to pick a name that's unisex.

I didn't name my RES until a month after I got him. The little thing acted so silly and I was "convinced" it was a female that I named "her" Tilly (to rhyme with silly). Well, Tilly quickly grew and it soon became apparent "she" was a "he." His "official" name is now Tilford, but he's still being called Tilly for short. :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:58 pm   

I have this thing for Aerosmith..that's where my boys names came from. Pandora & Rocks (both aerosmith albums). My husband, however, refers to them as "The Pig" and "The Other One" because Rocks is an absolute hog, and bites the hand that feeds him. Pandora is really shy. It might sound silly to some, but most of my pets names have derived from my love for Aerosmith in one way or another :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:00 pm   

We are Possitive the larger fellow is a Male. We think the smaller may be a female. Any way to know for sure?

Killer, Speedy, Chunk, and Joe. were tossed out as well.
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:05 pm   

There's really not a good way to tell til they get a lil bigger. Males have long (really long) claws, longer tails and a concave shape to their plastron (bottom shell). Females have short claws, shorter tails and they get quite a bit larger than males.

Chunk...lol...I like that. Reminds me of that movie "The Goonies". Chunk and Joe are unisex names...can't think of any right off the top of my head. So is there something about their personalities that really stands out?

Ok, got some: Dax, Yurtle, Mortimer (Morty for short), or you could go with opposites like Fluffy or Curly :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:05 pm   

I named one of my greenies 'BART' because I was watching him one night and thought he looked more green and yellow than his tankmates. For whatever reason I thought of the Green Bay Packers and Bart Starr! Don't ask me why or how I came up with that....especially since I'm a Denver Broncos fan!!! :) :!: :!: :!:
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:54 pm   

pick a random language and then look up the word for "turtle". my RES, Honu, is named in Hawaiian!
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:16 am   

I've found that the best way to tell the sex is by looking at the tail. Males will have tails that are thick and broad at the base and taper to a point. The cloaca (anal vent) is closer to the tip of the tail than the shell. Females will have smaller, thin tail and the cloaca will be closer to the shell than the tip. The nails of the male will get really long and spiky (eventuall like Edward Scissorhands). The concave bottom shell applies to some species, but not really to RES. (My RES is about 3 years old and has a completely flat plastron). These changes become apparent when a turtle's shell length is about 4 inches.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:29 pm   

I never thought to compare a turtles nails to Edward Scissor hands, that is very clever, thanks for the mental image :D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:32 pm   

Some people have also compared the nails to Freddie Kruger. :D
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:49 pm   

I thought of Wolverine...
judo42

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:50 pm   turtle names

I like Elvis as a turts name... I think it sounds cute :)
-Shady: 3" RES; 1 year old
-Scooby: 1.5" RES;
-Bubbles: 1" RES
-Tipper: 4 year old Rat Terrier
shady1616

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:40 pm   Names

ok now I confess I named my turtle Nehemiah then after asking how to sex a turtle was sure he was a she so changed to Nena after learning my turtle is probably very young and now not at all sure I'm thinking Nehia this will work till I can establish the sex down the road just measured Nehia not quite a 1.5 just a babe itsn't it? :?: :mrgreen: :?: I know I am still impressed with the pattern on the underside shell. had a dog once named Chipper after the baseball player
my pygmy goats are as follows: Mr.t(mother was sweet tea) Lalily(was just gonna b Lily but she sounds like she sings) Ella and Carlena (grand baby named them) and blue bell a dog named Cammi and cat named Mr.Tipton my grandson named his turtle Jacob my next little greenie may be called Sage??I am babysitting a rotti and her 5 two week old pups her name is lexus and the daddy is bently
suggestions
gator saucer sweet pea klondike sticks ollie pick a jazzy name that you really cant name your child and go for it lol let us know
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:11 pm   

I just decided on the name Reyna for the one I have now, and Orion for the one I am getting this week.
therizman1

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:21 am   

Good names Riz.
Hope you have many happy years with the little greenies. I have recently determined that they are nothing more than hard-shelled 'money sponges' but I wouldn't trade'em now that I've had them for a while. They're worse than my kid though as far as spending my money...:D
judo42

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.