Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: i got two of them

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:31 am   i got two of them

Seems like getting a turtle around this time seems like the in thing. Well i got two of the little babies and theyre awesome. im afraid though, my friends say theyre a lot of responsibility. and they smell a lot? mine was more of an impulse buy, but i love them. i got a 10 gallon tank, but it looks like i need to get a bigger one?

what should i use to clean their tank? do they get annoyed by changing stuff around in their tank? oh well, im a proud owner of squirt and munchers. lol thanks for the informative site!!
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:50 am   

Welcome to Turtle Talk!
8 RES: Tampa, Bay, Exclamation (Male R.I.P. 2-10-07), Question-mark, Tiny Tim, Pan Handle (Male), Squirt, & Crush.

KI4JAV

www.notyourdaddysguncases.com
TinySlider2

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:59 am   

Welcome to the forum....:) They are a big responsibility and yes, start looking now for a bigger tank. As they grow their home will need to grow. Keep in mind, 10gallons per inch of turtle as a guide to their tank needs. Eventually you will be looking at a very large tank with having two of them so when upgrading now, do all the research you can ahead of time and go as large as you can in purchasing a new tank so you will save money in the long run.

If you have a good filter (rated 2-3x the tank size) & you do regular cleanings/water changes, you shouldn't have to worry about the smell. Many people don't use anything extra to clean the tank except clean water. You can use vinegar if needed, and rinse well afterwards.

Not all RES take to change well, so needlessly rearranging their tank after you establish it properly should not be done. But each turtle's personality is different, so some will not mind a little tweaking here and there as needed. Just be sure to read through the main site and forum for all your turtles' needs.

What's the rest of your setup like, UVA(heat)bulb, UVB bulb, heater, basking area, basking temperature, water temperature etc?

My turtle was an impulse buy as well, but after reading up on his needs and providing him with the best home possible, I wouldn't trade him for anything. It is a little overwhelming at first learning what they need, so be sure to ask any questions you may have. :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 pm   

Hi there, well i just picked up a water heater today, since it got below 72 f. i got a fluval tronic heater, 30 U.S. gal (100 litres). i got a fluval 1 plus for the filter.... a heat light, but with a normal light bulb and of course a 10 gallon tank. only problem is i didnt know theyd get that big and well i dont have very much room for a bigger thank. how much would i need? a 30 gallon tank? how much do they cost? also, with the filter... how often is it recommended to clean the filter out? thanks for your help!
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:17 pm   

Your 1+ filter will quickly become ineffective as your turts grow. I'm a little confused--you have a ten-gallon tank with a Tronic heater (good) that's rated for 30 gallons (i.e., about 150 watts) ? If you have a 10-gallon tank, it would be good to start looking for a bigger one and get a filter rated for 3X its size (90 gallons). How big are your turtles? Measure their shell lengths down their backs, don't count the curve of the shell, and add them together. For each inch, they ideally should have ten gallons of tank. When you look for a bigger container, try the classifieds, garage sales, thrift shops to see if you can get a used one (minimizes costs).

Turtles don't/shouldn't smell, and if they do, it's most likely because they're in a small tank, with a low water level(?) and a filter that isn't up to the job. Do you use the carbon inserts in the Fluval 1+? (I've used a 2+ and have used them in it). In smaller tanks, carbon will help cut down on odors, but it will need to be replaced frequently (I think Fluval says those inserts need to be replaced weekly), especially with two turtles. For a 10-gallon tank, though, the most important thing you can do to minimize ordors and keep your turtles healthy is weekly (at least) cleanings/water changes. The 1+ will need to be cleaned frequently as well.

You can help keep the tank water cleaner if you feed your turtles in a separate container of water (doesn't have to be that big, and you only need to use enough water so that they can comfortably grap the food and eat). Have it the same temp as the tank water, though. They may not want to eat in a new place at first, but, after they've adjusted, if you're consistent and give them some privacy when they eat, many turtles adjust to the change fairly easily.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:15 pm   

wow, maybe i didnt think this through. i dont have any space for a bigger tank, especially 50 gallons? LOL as for the filter, i rinse it out.. shouldnt that be enough? so i have to buy new filter foam pads each week? man maybe im in over my head. im starting to worry now
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm   

Don't get worried now. :) But do start to do some reading on this site to get a better idea of what your turtles need. Once you get the basics down, it gets easier (but they do need adequate space, and a good set-up that will keep them healthy does entail some financial investment). Yes, you can rinse out the filter, but as your turtles grow, you'll be doing it more and more frequently and at some point it will be pretty much useless. It's better to have a tank big enough for your turtles (as measured above) and a good filter, preferably an canister filter (external/outside the tank).

You don't have to buy the foam pads weekly. In fact, you should rinse them out in the tank water and reuse them for as long as possible. Don't clean/wash them in clean/fresh water, and don't use soap. I think there are three kinds of media for your filter--the foam pads (came with the filter and are reusable), and carbon inserts and microfiltration pads, which you have to buy separately and which should be replaced. I don't think the microfiltration pads are effective at all. It was the carbon inserts I was asking if you used. They can help somewhat (rinse them out before using), but like I said, with the small filter you have, the best thing you can do is frequent water changes/cleanings for controling any odor. A good-size tank and filter would be the best thing to have.

Do your turtles have a proper basking area and proper lighting?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:53 pm   

at the moment, the filter is the one with holes in it? not foam, but its a little stronger than that. as for lighting, i bought a heat lamp, but im just using a 60 watt lightbulb. and in the morning i open my blinds and they get some sun for a bit. i have pebbles at the bottom of the tank. maybe i should get rid of those? since ill be cleaning it a lot?

and u said not to use fresh water when i clean the filter? should i clean the filter daily? im using what they gave me in the box that came with the filter, it was already placed inside it. how long do you figure i have before i have to get a new tank?im thinking when one of them get really big, ill just call the spca and donate one to a pet store. i'd at least have one and i wouldnt have to get a huge tank, that i most likely cant fit anywhere in my house anyways...
Last edited by Glencoe on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:54 pm   

oh and whats a basking area? i have big rocks that come out of the water a bit, enough room for the both of them. but they seem to enjoy the vibrations of the filter and lie on top of that and poke their heads out. is maintaning the PH balance hard? what do i do for that? i realise these questions are most likely answered on the site though, just curious.
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:19 pm   

Glencoe wrote: "at the moment, the filter is the one with holes in it?"

I don't understand the above question. The pieces that were included with the filter when you bought it--those are the foam pads. You rinse those out in the tank water. Clean the filter itself with clean water.

Sunlight through a windw doesn't help your turtles. They need UVB rays, and the glass blocks almost all of them. Your turtles need both a heat lamp (which you have) AND a UVB light for those UVB rays. UVB lights are flourescent and don't give off heat. Your turtles need both. They should be over the basking area, which is where your turtles will completely get out of the water to dry off (temp should be 88-90F). Partially submerged rocks are not a good basking area. If they can't get out to bask they'll eventually have shell problems (shell rot). Don't worry about the ph level, just keep their water clean.

I'd take out the pebbles, especially if they're smaller than your turtles' heads. Sometimes turtles will try to eat them and if they do, there's the chance of them getting impacted. At the very least, small pebbles make cleaning harder (and are likely helping to cause the odor you noticed).

You really need to do some reading--you'll find the answers to your most of your questions elsewhere on this site. Then, if you have specific questions, just post.

It would also be good if, after doing some reading, your think seriously about where you can make a committment to caring for your turtles. Even one of them requires care and space. And if you have a female, she will require a very large tank (120 gallons or more) when she's fully grown. If you decide you can't care for them, find them good home (of, if you decide you can keep one, the other one).
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:18 pm   

hi, well the pebbles are bigger than their heads for now, so im ok in that area. as for the cleaning, whats the best way to keep pebbles? i can wash them in hot water and then clean the tank, filter, then add the pebbles back. how long should i expect them to keep this small? just out of curiosity. ill be sure to buy an actual UVB lamp. if i didnt, would that prevent them from growing? or would be be harmful to them in the end of it all?
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:46 pm   

I would ditch the pebbles all together. I'm speaking from experience here. :D I had small rocks that covered the entire bottom of the tank. It was such a pain every cleaning time to remove those and completely rinse them and rinse the tank. After getting rid of them, I got a few river rocks for looks but left the bottom of the tank bare and cleaning day isn't such a headache anymore.

If you don't provide the proper basking area and lighting (UVB bulb as well as a heat bulb) then it will lead to serious health issues including shell rot and metabolic bone disease. When purchasing a UVB bulb be sure that the package says it emits at least 7-10% UVB.

Turtles grow at different rates depending on a number of factors. Some factors such as overfeeding or feeding foods high in protein too often and water that is too warm can cause fast growth. Some turtles disposition will cause them to grow slightly faster than others just like with children. I've had my turtle for around 5 months now and he's grown about an inch. A good growth rate is an inch a year after the first year (2-3 inches is a good size for a turtle that is around a year old). Planning ahead now when purchasing filters, tanks etc will help cut some cost down later.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:26 pm   

Glencoe wrote:ill be sure to buy an actual UVB lamp. if i didnt, would that prevent them from growing? or would be be harmful to them in the end of it all?

are you asking if there is anything you can do to keep them small? :shock:
"I got eighteen dollars, Dude"
yosmartpants

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:31 pm   

Glencoe, the absence of UVB can be harmful to your turtle's health. UVB emits vitamin d3, which is essential for absorbtion of calcium. Calcium along with the vitamin d3 is helpful for the turtle's general health but especially the shell (carapace and plastron) Without the UVB light, your turtle is more prone to Metalic Bone Disease which can be fatal if not treated asap.
No, it will not prevent from the turtle to grow in most cases. Only thing that will keep a turtle in a small size or a constant size for a longer period of time is if th e turtle is sick or too cold, not given a proper diet or lighting, and if you turtle has parasites. It is sometimes true that without the UVB light, the turtle will grow irregularly.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:47 pm   

ok well i got these things to put in the water to give out calcium and im getting a UVB light bulb to give off heat. should be efficient. im low on cash at the moment and this is an expensive business proposition. i just [----] up my heater, i put it on before i put water in... so theres more money. *gulp
Glencoe

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.