Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: im a newbie

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:13 pm   my girls

Well, yes, one died when I first got them. I didn't know. I thought the turtle sticks were enough, and no, I had no lights, or filter. After that one died, I got a book. I started feeding the other one supplements, and put lights on, and bought a log for her to get out of the water. the tanks are 30 gallon tanks, and I put only about 6 inches of water in. I have a filter specifically for turtles now. The big one is 4 years old now.
the new one is about 7 months old.

I am not going to use text talk anymore, my mom got all over me for it. :shock: she said to use real words like a real person. I have little Bulletin Board experiece.
spedturtle

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 pm   

What type/brand of filter do you have? What are you feeding them now? Do you have the proper lights now? Just curious :)

I applaud your mother.. as the mother of 4 and grandmother of 3, I have a difficult time accepting "lazy" typing. I've been on IRC for 10+ years and I can read it but I get a bit vocal about it :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:19 pm   filter

the kind of filter I have is a submersible kind, and it stays on the bottom. It's a Microclean 316. It says on the box that if the water was deeper, it can be mounted on the side. Not sure what kind of lights we have, can you recommend a brand, and we can check it? I know mom got it at Petsmart. the filter we had to order online, no one around here has the right thing :cry:
I have the tanks near the windows, that's what they recommended at Petsmart. I'll be looking around on this board for other things that people have asked that may answer some of my other questions.
What is a good store for buying turtle stuff? If they have a website that would be best for me. :)

Oh, and Mom says "you are welcome" she hates the way I type too... :shock: She said It's stupid, but all of my friends do it I thought it was ok here
spedturtle

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:26 pm   

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. For filters, try www.bigalsonline.com (The filter you have is likely not to cut it as your turtles grow.) When choosing a filter try to get one rated for 3X the size of the tank. For lights, try www.reptiledirect.com or www.4littlepets.com
You can however, buy the UVB light your turtle needs at Petsmart (they sell Reptisun compact flourescents and ESU Super UVB coil lamps, which screw into the socket of a clamp lamp). Many Petsmarts will match on-line prices if you print out product being sold on-line and include the price and date.

Don't know where in the US you are, but tanks near windows often get algae, and in hot weather can be dangerous for a turtle.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm   

Thanks for the websites the were very useful!!!!
spedturtle

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:44 pm   

I'm new too. I have 2 sliders - bought them at Myrtle Beach in July. Of course they didn't give us any info. on them and said that they wouldn't get any bigger than the TINY container they put them in...of course I knew better than that. Luckily, we have a VERY smart guy that knows a lot about EVERY kind of animal that works at the petshop just right down the road from us. I had them in a 10 gallon aquarium for about 2 months, now they are in a 75 gallon with docks, lights, heat, filters, etc. Just wanted to introduce myself and say that I love this forum!! It is a turtle owners dream! My turtles' names are Pork and Beans :)
love my:
2 turtles - Pork and Beans
2 beagles- Bogey and Chloe
2 cats - Simone and BC
1 Great Dane - Dutchess
1 rabbit - Daisy
2 bettas - shotsy and betta
ownerofporkandbeans

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:50 pm   

Welcome to the forum ownerofporkandbeans :)
I'm glad you got the information quickly. Do you have any pics?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:02 pm   

I do have a couple of pics., but I will have to post them a little later...we are going to go buy them some new items right now!
love my:
2 turtles - Pork and Beans
2 beagles- Bogey and Chloe
2 cats - Simone and BC
1 Great Dane - Dutchess
1 rabbit - Daisy
2 bettas - shotsy and betta
ownerofporkandbeans

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:48 am   

Hi Ownerofporkandbeans nice to see another new face(or should I say typer!)LOL!!! Well I'm glad you found a smart guy to help you and I hope you get alot of good info. off of this forum!!!! Good Luck on the forum!!! And keep the turtle life strong!!!!!
spedturtle

Previous

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.