Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello Everybody, New turtle owner here!!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:43 pm   Hello Everybody, New turtle owner here!!

Hello everynody, new to the forum here. I just recently got a cute little (about 2.5 inch) RES. I just set up his habitat today and he seems to be enjoying life. I just wish he would stay his size forever. :D
sklzlm

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:56 pm   Re: Hello Everybody, New turtle owner here!!

Welcome :) What is his set-up like?

sklzlm wrote: I just wish he would stay his size forever. :D

I sure do! :D

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:29 pm   

Its a 20 gallon tank (only about half full) with gravel and some bigger rocks for him to baske. I also put some guppies and aquatic plants in there to make him feel more at home.
sklzlm

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:42 pm   

A 20 gallon would do for now, but be prepared to get larger ones as he grows.
How big are the gravel? It is best to get ones that is bigger than the head, to prevent future health problems
I would fill up the water to a level where he cannot escape. Do you pile rocks for the basking dock? Floating docks with suction cups are easier to dealt with
What are the water and basking temperatures?
Do you have both UVB and UVA lights?
Which aquatic plants do you have?

Sorry for all the questions :)

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:52 pm   

The gravel are bigger than his head. The water is currently at 77 degrees (farenheit of course :P ). Im not sure of the basking temp, but i do have the uva light. Havent purchased a uvb light yet (will get during the week). Currently, there are stacked rocks for his basking as well as one of those generic turtle logs. the aquatic plants in there are all water sprites. (the people at my local reptile store said that water sprites were safe, but if anyone says otherwise, I will remove them). I also have an in-water filter as well as an aerator for the guppies.
sklzlm

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:26 am   

Welcome to the forum...:) Sounds like you are off to a great start with your little guy. It would be great if they'd stay snall forever, but knowing that won't happen is a given. ;) Just be prepared for the size of his home to grow as he does.

You probalby will find out like most of us on here that the gravel in the bottom isn't the best solution. #1) Turtles have been known to eat it causing major health problems, and #2) even if it's bigger than his head but covers the entire bottom, it's a huge pain come cleaning day!!! (I'm speaking from experience here :D ) The best thing I ever did was to ditch the rocks that covered the bottom of my tank and go to a few river rocks. MUCH easier to clean!

Like, turtlesirens said, fill the water up. (RES are aquatic and love to swim; the more room the better) And invest in a floating dock or look in the photo gallery for ideas on how to build one. This takes up less swimming space and is easy to deal with during cleanings.

If you have any questions just ask.... :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:01 pm   

Hi and welcome. :D Water sprites are fine, as are other aquatic plants you'd find in fish aquariums.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.