Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Newbie with 3 baby turtlets

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:13 pm   Newbie with 3 baby turtlets

:P Hi everyone! My name is Emily, 21, in Los Angeles. I recently bought 3 baby turtlets (as I call them) this summer named Baby Bowser, Red, and Donatello (less than 1.5 inch). I will be posting up pictures soon. I was so happy to see this website here because there are many turtle lovers here (moreover, of RES). I feel now that turtlets are underestimated because dogs and cats are the common household pet in the U.S.

My question is whether it is illegal to own a baby turtle or buy one from those oriental swap meets (i.e. China Town)? Also, are UVB lights too strong for baby turtlets?
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:37 pm   

Hi, and welcome! :-)

It's legal to own them but not to sell them under 4 inches. The vendors get around that law many different ways.

UVB lights are not too strong, in fact they're a necessity.

Good luck with your new little ones. Looking forward to seeing some pics!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:58 pm   

Welcome to the forum...:)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:18 pm   

It is illegal to sell turtles under 4 inches (unless selling them to hobbyists and herpetologists) but it is not illgeal to own one.

Welcome to Turtle Talk :)

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:22 am   

well welcome seems ur questions were answered but may I suggest u read read and read some more the stickys here are full of gr8 info. I love to see new pix so I cant wait....if u have questions after u have read the forum plz ask.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:55 am   

Welcome to the forum:D

Yes, it is legal to own a turtle under 4 inches, I want to make that clear because many owners will not take their turtle to the vet for fear that they will get in trouble because of it's size. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:36 pm   

I thought it was only illegal to SELL, not to own.

oh and sirens most of those hobbyist need a permit I think . . .at least that is what I read in a turtle book.
tini

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:16 pm   

Welcome. :) If it's warm where you are, taking your turtles out for direct sunlight would be good (but supervise them and don't put them in a glass aquarium--it heats up too much). If they can't get outside regularly, then a UVB light is important. UVB lights are much weaker than the sun, and are not too strong for your turtles.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:22 pm   

Thanks so much Marisa for the advice! Yeah, I definitely think taking the turtlets out for a few hours per week is a better idea in Los Angeles than the UVB lights. Afterall, it is what they naturally get in the wild and the bulb wouldn't be as powerful.
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:54 pm   

But if it gets cool later on and you can't take them out, they'll need that UVB light. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.