Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello from Turkey!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:11 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

litefoot wrote:To get the spray bar back above the water you can make the holes a hair bigger to quiet it down. Use something with a small point , ice pick , small nail and try in small increment's until you get the sound and or affect you want. Little larger holes will quiet it down a lot. You can also remove the spray bar part and let just the open tubing shoot water across the surface for a different effect.

With the canister filter try and make different nozzles to control the fast flow , be creative . Maybe even make a splitter to have half at surface and the other half going straight down. Or just put an inline valve to slow it down just a little or both (DIY) nozzle and a valve?

Basking area: how about cutting some cardboard and "wrap" basking area for some privacy "no" cover may hold too much heat in. Colored construction paper or magazine pictures as a background. A natural picture to help them feel safe and comfortable. That is until they get use to all going on around them. They will get comfortable in time and will not jump in the tank when you enter the room. Instead in time they will wake up and give you the "look" , we are trying to sleep up here. We were having good dream's , you woke us up running around out there. Turtle have remarkable expression's !

Thank you for the great recommendations! I stopped using canister filter until I find a good solution both for the noise and the current. I observed them and they were really unhappy with too much current (a 1500l/h filter for a 150l tank, with 1200l/h inner filter), and now they seem more comfortable, spending time in water. With the canister they were standing in the ramp or on the top of the inner filter.
eek

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:54 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

Once they are juveniles you'll need the extra flow. Hopefully both are females to stay in one tank , any other combo will have to be separated. Then can use that canister for the other tank.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

litefoot wrote:Once they are juveniles you'll need the extra flow. Hopefully both are females to stay in one tank , any other combo will have to be separated. Then can use that canister for the other tank.

I will post my solution here for the disturbing flow when I sort it out, I already started to search for examples. They are very small to determine sex, I also hope for two females. But the one eating shrimps and biting snails is already too aggressive. It is not biting or attacking the other one but I feel like it is bullying (like pushing the other one while eating, basking on top of it etc.). I will set an ip cam to track them while they are alone.
eek

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:11 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

May have to feed separate to make sure both are eating !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:57 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

It has been a while but I just wanted to let you know that I modified the holes of the spray bar and covered the basking area. Covering did not change anything, they are still running away like crazy as soon as someone enters the room, but I placed the basking area on a shelf now so they are not hitting the glass or roots as they slide quickly. This is a picture before covering the basking area:

Image https://m.imgur.com/a/0fla0DH
eek

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm   Re: Hello from Turkey!

Look back at my post from Oct 7th. "No" on covering the basking area. Note : Wrap the walls around basking area so they can't see out , wrap the back side , end side and front side so they cant see anything , keep entrance area open , cardboard works well for this . Will make them feel less exposed and be less jumpy. Does not happen over night some turtles need more time than others. It does help them feel more comfortable until they adjust to the room when babies. Then maybe just have too much activity in that room may need to move them to a less active area being babies.

Photo did not post try again please.

PS : got photo now.

If not wrapping walls of basking area try some short plants for them to hide behind on the basking area , try to make it less exposed for them so they feel safer. It's in there built in instinct to be skittish it's how they survived since the beginning of time.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 am   Re: Hello from Turkey!

By covering I tried to mean wrapping the glass that covers the basking area. I will post a new picture with the final setup, thanks for your help.
eek

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:47 am   Re: Hello from Turkey!

:wink:
litefoot

Previous

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.