Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Gherkin on his back

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:41 pm   Gherkin on his back

I turned on the UVB bulb early this morning, for some reason felt the need to check on him, and found Gherkin upsidedown in the middle of the enclosure. His eyes were closed and he wasn't moving. I picked him up and he slowly opened his eyes. I put him in a nice warm spot under a hide in his enclosure and checked on him a few hours later an he seemed OK. Should I be worried?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm   

I've felt that 'need' to check on mine before too. I've found mine on his back a few times when he was that little. Keep an eye on him to make sure he returns to his usual routine/habits. He's likely just fine.

Make sure that the substrate is as level as possible. Mine would turn himself over trying to walk over uneven dirt. Sometimes he'd land in a bit of a 'ditch' and not be able to right himself. On even ground, he should be able to use his head/neck to turn back over but he may just not have the strength at that age.

One thing I've learned is to NEVER ignore that 'feeling' when you get it.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion