Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: lighting and soil

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 am   lighting and soil

Ok so here's the problem... I know there's no real need to have the uva/uvb bulb for my hatchling, Varuka, considering she spends the lajority of her time burried, but I do have it. Here comes the problem, I am having a horrible time keeping the dirt and plants on that side of the tank wet enough. This is driving me mad! I have Eco earth in her tank, and on the side without the light I have moss which does hold the moisture better but still even that drise out fairly quickly. I mist the tank at least three times each day.

Any plant I put in this tank dies in no time. My only conclusion is that the light is taking all of the moisture out of the dirt, but I don't want to leave Varuka without the UVA/B rays if she chooses to come out.

Any suggestions? I have a timer but there again I Don't know when she'd decide to come out so I don't know what time of day to set the timer for. The tank has a screen lid on it, it's a 30gal. I suppose I could cover the screen some...

Suggestions always welcome :)

Maybe I'll get around to posting pics soon :) I haven't shown her to you all yet, she's been kept secret.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 pm   

Instead of a clamp light, I use a long tube 5.0 or 10.0...according to the size of your set up....on one side and on the other side a heat emitter. The long tube light gives off no heat. I cover most of the top of the viv. with clear wrapping tape, to keep in the humidity. I also put in a lot of plants. This helps with the humidity too. Hatchlings usually hide most of the time under leaf litter and very rarely come out. They don't need a lot of light in their enclosure. Post some pictures of your viv.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:21 am   

My viv. can't really even be considered a viv. :( my stupid plants and grass just keep dying. Its frustrating me to say the least. I hope to get some good pictures of it soon-ish I just keep not doing it. No excuse other than my laziness. I'm trying to find some plants to put in there, so I can try again... but I can't finds any I like... I'll keep looking.

She has tons of Moss, which she loves to hide under, so she's not hurting for a place to hide or anything. Btw, she lives in a 30gal.
Swaypippin

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion