Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: "I had a box turtle once...

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Should i keep her?

Poll ended at Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 am

Yes
38%
No
63%

Total votes : 8

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 am   "I had a box turtle once...

...painted my name on his shell and everything! got away though. I wonder where it went"

remember how people say "when i was a kid i had a turtle..." ever wonder where there turtles go if they're lucky enough to live through the torture of being captive by a child? They wander, they get attacked by dogs, they live. sometimes. And then perhaps they are caught again and if they are lucky they will find someone who cares for turtles.

please welcome my newest addition to the family, a still unnamed, in bad shape, florida box turtle.

she's a sweet girl. pretty skittish, but thats to be expected. I'm at a loss. i can't afford t take on any more sick pets (Cloud, Buck, Alton...) and i am currently accepting donations, lol. :roll:
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm   

Honestly, if you can't afford the treatment she'll need I'd give her up to a rescue organization. Her shell looks pretty mangled in some areas so I think a trip to the vet's is really in order.
You've already amassed quite a zoo, it's not really fair to any of the animals if you can't afford to get them treatment when they need it. Finding the the boxie and taking her in definitely saved her life, why not give her to a good group who can find her a great home.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm   

I agree with Meg. Get her fixed up and hopefully she can either be released or given to someone who can care for her.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion