Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Need advice on a setup.

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 am   Need advice on a setup.

Well I've had my 3 toed box for over 11 years now and my grandparents have been taking care of her since I've been in the Army. I'm ready to take her back and add her to the family. Only problem is her tank is very neglected IMO. It's a L30 (long style 30 gallon) with a plastic tuperware water bowl, a small towel, a 50W UVA bulb, and a heat pad under neath.

She recently went to a herp vet to get her upper lip trimmed and he said she is in great healthy and a feisty one.

Does anyone have pics of their boxie setups to give me an idea of what to setup for her? Do they required a UVB bulb like RES?
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:57 pm   

I keep my Three Toed in a 75 gal. planted vivarium. Many people are against glass tanks, but I have found that it holds humidity much better than any plastic storage bin. I put her outside in the summer, and plan to make a large pen for her.
I have a heat emitter on one side and a long tube 10.0 UVB for a 10 gal tank on the other side. I have a mix of peat moss, forest floor, by zoo med, soil and lots of leaf litter for substrate. On top of that I put some green reptile moss and I planted some tropical plants to hold in the humidity. In her hide I have moss mixed with leaf litter. There is a screen top to filter out the light. I tried to mimic the forest floor as best I could. I also cover most of the top with clear wrapping tape. This helps hold in the humidity too. I hope this helps. I also put a lot of cuttle bone in her viv.
If you want more pic. e-mail me.
his is Izzy:

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:21 am   

I used an old book shelf to make an enclosure for my 3toed. The pics aren't great, but you'll get the idea. I use a 100w uva/uvb combo bulb.

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20083
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm   

That is a beautiful set up. Your boxie is a Three Toed? It doesn't look like mine.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:09 pm   

I think he's a mutt.. some kind of 3toed x eastern.. He's got 3 toes, not the normal markings for an eastern, but fancier than a 3toed.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion