Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: change in eating habits

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:59 pm   change in eating habits

Apollo has generally been a very good eater...he always ate anything we gave him, from pellets to vegetables to fruit to worms. Michael went on a business trip early last month and as soon as he left, Apollo stopped eating. We figured it was just the change from his normal routine stressing him out, as it was also the start of daylight savings time. After a couple days I started to worry and gave him superworms, which he ate, no problem. Since then, he refuses to eat anything but worms or crickets. Any pellets or vegetables we give him are completely ignored, even if we put it right in front of him. The only other thing we've been able to get him to eat was a couple bites of strawberry. How concerned should we be? I've told Michael to start dusting the insects so he at least gets some nutrition. He still seems to follow the same schedule, coming out in the morning and bathing, just not eating the vegetables. Any ideas?
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 am   

I don't have any boxies, but he could just be picky right now. Maybe you want to keep track of his weight during this period?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:50 am   

Mine tends to eat less this time of year. Even tho the temps are kept the same all year, they seem to have an internal clock that knows the season. Steve's right. Just keep track of his weight, let him eat when he feels like it, and keep an eye out for any signs of illness.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 am   

Thank you very much for the advice. I picked up a little diet scale to keep track of him. I also checked his temps and found that his basking spot (where he has been tending to burrow lately) is right at 80 degrees, which is within the range recommended by ATP, but if you guys think it should be warmer I can add a second bulb. He also has his flowerpot heater which he doesn't seem to go near. He seems slightly less active and more inclined to stay buried, but gets really excited for worms and eats as many as we'll give him. He also ate a little bit of boiled egg.

We're dusting the worms to make them more nutritious, would it be beneficial to try to feed the worms vegetables?
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:56 pm   

For worms, I think some keepers inject meds into them for turtles and torts to eat, I wonder if you can also pump some vitamins in them as well...
steve
Site Admin

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion