Other Turtle Discussion :: Sleeping?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:00 pm   Sleeping?

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how long turtles generally sleep? If there is already a topic about this or a sticky can you let me know? The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that sleeping too much may be an indication of an illness. Just so it's clear, I don't think my turtle is sleeping too much, but I want to know for the future how much is too much just in case. Thanks.
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:57 am   

Mine go to bed when I do. About 10 or 11pm and sleep until about 5am when they see the sun start to come up outside. They also sometimes fall asleep during the day while basking.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 pm   

They're diurnal--they sleep at night and are awake during the day (they may shut their eyes while basking, but a healthy turtle will most likely be alert enough to respond to movement by at least opening his eyes).

If my turtle were continually doing a lot of basking and this seemed to be out of the ordinary, if he were otherwise lethargic and/or not eating well, I'd be on the lookout for other symptoms that would indicate he was sick. If he were otherwise acting what for him was normal, I wouldn't worry.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:48 pm   

Thanks Marisa and Jenaero. Marisa, you are the one that said Cod Liver Oil is good for swollen eyes if they are due to Vit. A deficiency. I found some at my local drug store, but it also contains Omega 3 is that not the right kind?
chrysnyc

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:41 pm   

By plain cod liver oil I mean nothing added. When I lived in Tokyo and tried to get cod liver oil, all I could find is peppermint or lemon-flavored cod liver oil. I think fish oil is high in Omega 3, so if there's no additives, I'd say it was OK to use (just a little, very gently on the lids once or twice a day for several days).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion