Other Turtle Discussion :: Hand Feeding Training!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:13 pm   Hand Feeding Training!

How do you get your turtle to eat out of your hand? And what foods are good to use as starters that they're sure to grab! Cooter still goes into her shell when I stick my hand in the tank. :(

--Help us bond!
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 pm   

How long have you had him? He may need more time to adjust.

They like smelly foods, but will get used to eating pellets if you offer them. Try holding them with the thumb and index finger just above the nose when your turtle is in the water.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:39 pm   

Do you really NEED to feed your turtle by hand? My guess is it is afraid/nervous when you put your hand in the tank.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:38 pm   

^^^No I don't need to "really feed him by hand" but I have heard of others who do and just was curious how they got to that point!

I've had her for 8 months.
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:42 pm   

I've had mine for about a year and they'll eat from my hand.. well if I hold food above their head they will. I used boiled chicken breast. I'm not brave enough to use some thing shorter.. :)

They've done that pretty much since I got them. At first they are a bit frightened of your hand dangling over the side, but once you get the food near their nose and they smell it they equate your hand with food. It just takes time for them to adjust to your hand. One of mine still gets skittish when he sees my hand near the tank until he realizes the other 2 are getting food and he's not.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:42 pm   

well i think you have to have a pretty friendly turtle to have him eat out of your hand. when i got my turtle, he ate out of my hand the first day. and he was very friendly and outgoing at the start. so i cant really answer you there.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:39 pm   

Mine has finally adjusted to where he'll eat out of my hand, it just takes some time for them to be trusting.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:50 pm   

Turtlebot--also be careful what you wish for. My RES got so used to taking food from my hand that even when I put it in the water in front of him he'd still keep waiting to take it from my hand. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion