Other Turtle Discussion :: I'm suddenly an expert??

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:56 pm   I'm suddenly an expert??

I think NOT!!! Just happen to know more than the twitty young things that work at the local pet store plus!!! Some woman comes in with a large paint bucket.. puts it on the counter and says.. "How big of a tank do I need for this.. someone gave it to my daughter." I'm standing at the check out right by her and asked her what it was.. turns out its a mature female eastern painted turtle. I kind of chuckle and wait for the girl to tell her some ridiculously small tank, but well figured best not even wait, and told her.. well I have turtles at home and rule of thumb is.. 10 gallons for every 1" of shell length and from the looks of it, you can get away with a 75 gallon for now but plan on upgrading soon LOL. She just looked at me, the girl behind the counter is like I have no clue I don't know anything about turtles.. and seems this "lady" is an expert.. LOL. Hardly, I'm still upgrading to give my babies proper accomodations. Another $100 down today for "stuff". As I walked out the woman came up to me and goes, what do I feed her.. etc. So I explained to her what sort of foods.. and needs and told her to try to find a good book on aquatic turtles. This was after I asked if she had the internet btw.. :)

I got in my car and started laughing. It was rather humorous, but since my babies are only 3+".. and hers was 7" easily.. I really can see why they need that much space now. Its hard to imagine when they are still so tiny. So, I thought I'd just share my experience with educating the pet store people and the general public!!
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:05 pm   

You did good! :) Hopefully, that EPT will get the kind of set-up she needs.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:39 pm   

I love hearing stories like that Image :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:03 pm   

That's awesome! I wish I had someone like you waiting in line behind me when I got my boys.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:22 pm   

LOL so do I.. then I'd have only gotten one instead of THREE!!!!!
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:41 am   

That is cool. The people at the pet store i got my Cooter at dident even know what kind of turt he was. I had to find that out later on this board.
TurtleMan17

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:23 pm   

as soon as i turn 15 years old (9 days) i am gonna try to get a job at the local pet store. This pet store stinks and they really need some help. I plan on cleaning it all up when and if i get a job there. escpecially their res turtle cages! they have atleast 5 turtles about 5-6in. in a 40 gallon tank with about 30 huge rocks taking up all of the swimming space. with the small floating dock turned upside down floating around in the tank. with all of the turltles looking so misserable. it makes me sick! thats why i want a job there. I wont even go into that place anymore because it smells so bad! kinda ironic isnt it.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:37 pm   

Thats more like sad. That store needs to get a bigger tank for those RES. And if their not in the correct conditions haw are all the other pets?
TurtleMan17

Return to Other Turtle Discussion