Other Turtle Discussion :: Turrtle was making sounds

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 am   Turrtle was making sounds

Some background info - Our turtle Nostril is about 20 years old. Extremely friendly loves to sit on you, or sit near your face. Yesterday, we took Nostrils out of his tank and and was laying on the floor with him, which is something we do with him all the time.

We noticed something that we have never head before, but he was almost purring. He didn't seem stressed our or uncomfortable or unusual at all, so I'm not sure why he was purring. it was completely different from hissing, has he has only hissed once when I was trying to get some ants off his head and he keep poking his head back into his shell. it was defiantly some sort of purring sound.
He also made a sound, and when I googled it, people say its some sort of mating sound....like a clicking sounds but it seemed higher pitched and he only did it once. Sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAoDPWExdDU go to the 20 second mark and you will hear the sound.

Thoughts?
Melani

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:31 pm   Re: Turrtle was making sounds

Some turtles are very vocal and others never made a peep. Can you make a short video of "your" turtle making the sound , his actions when making it ? The video you picked is ok but making a motion along with the sound. May of had a small bug harassing her in that video ? Is Nostril making any motions as in the video too or just the sound ? May of been an irritant Nostril was trying to clear. I would observe well for any other signs , any excessive basking , weepy eyes , etc to rule out anything else . If it's persistent or other symptoms I would have him checked out as a precaution only. Keep track of how and when he makes the sound , not all sound are good. My Piggley never makes a sound because he's got the "look" down pat... but some sounds are safe and normal so just observe well.
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:33 pm   Re: Turrtle was making sounds

If it's the croaking noise, it does happen but not often. As far as mating, it's not something I've heard of. I've heard my male RES do it once or twice, but that was many years ago. All the other times it's been mentioned on the forum, it's just a random thing... no other symptoms during or after the noise.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion