Other Turtle Discussion :: agression towards other turtle

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm   agression towards other turtle

Hi all,
New here..I am also new to turtles..I recently adopted two red ear sliders from a friend who has had them for almost 7 years..they both lived in a large plastic tote together on a porch with natural
sunlight and were fed every other day...I felt bad for them living in this tote, so I dug a pond, lined it with pond liner, added and pump, filter and UV light, one side a deep end ( approx. 20in ) and shaped like a snail shell tapering up
to a waiting pool approx. 1.5 -2in deep with a dry log type section dividing the two depths and a dry flat area..anyhow, they seemed to love it for couple weeks, all though I have been taking them out at night and putting them back into the tote for safety from any wild animals that might try to get them from the pond until I add a security cover for night time...but the past couple days, the larger of the two has been showing aggression towards the other.
both are female, and have been together for many years..it bothers me to see the one attack the other..she literally trys to bite the other..chasing her around frantically..luckly I can stop her..the smaller one is pretty good and evading the larger and able to get to the shallow side, where the larger one doesn't proceed to chase..can anyone explain why this is happening now all of a sudden? I hate that I went through all this pond building and expenses just to be able to only have one turtle in it..
cksavage

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 am   Re: agression towards other turtle

I think I just replied to your FB posting. Any ways, it's unusual but it does happen. I think the theory was that it was as a new environment, so one wanted to exert dominance.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion