Other Turtle Discussion :: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 pm   Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night?

Is it okay if I let my baby red eared slider sleep next to me for an entire night? Would she need water or something? I thought it'd be nice to let her get used to sleeping close to me and stuff and I thought it'd be pretty nice to have her get used to me. As I type this she is in my covers sleeping and I don't want to move her because she looks so comfortable. Do you let your baby/adult RES sleep with you all night at times outside of its tank?
IamSifter

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

It's not something you would want to do regularly... but she should stay in her tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:41 pm   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

Honestly, it's kind of a bad concept and a stupid idea, you might want to keep her in her tank, but whatever you want I guess. If you got her from a street fair or a parade, she might have Salmonella, and Salmonella isn't good for humans. Salmonella doesn't effect turtles, but it does indeed effect Humans.
(2 red eared sliders;) Blastoise and Frody
(2 dogs;) Tank and Snuggles

[planning on getting a salamander, or a newt]
jacobtylerjuarez

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:13 pm   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

Honestly not a good idea, more bad scenarios than good. But you can eat breakfast with your turtle ( keep her in the tank ). While you have your breakfast, sit beside your turtle tank, drop in whatever food you give her in the morning and just start eating. I use to do that with mine, and best of all, my turtle stayed where he was, so we were beside each other :)
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 am   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

It's actually not that bad of an idea. The only thing is if you do that make sure they're on a pillow so you don't accidentally squish them in your sleep. If they sleep next to you more often than not they will absorb your body heat and get way too warm.
goldwilbur

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 am   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

I still don't see a valid reason to do this.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:16 pm   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

Depending on how high your bed is off of the ground, I think that it could be very dangerous for your turtle if it moved in the night and slipped off of the bed... Also, if you move in your sleep without knowing, you could knock him right off of the bed as well or accidentally squish him. If his shell were to crack open from being dropped, it could lead to infection and also death if bad enough. Even if he were unharmed by a fall, you could risk losing him in the house. Too many risky situations... All in all, I think it would be best to keep him in his tank where he would feel most comfortable, rather than risk the well-being of your friend. After all, we all want our little buddies to be happy. Best of luck
Jen1004

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:10 pm   Re: Is it okay to let my baby RES sleep next to me all night

I see there are people for and against.
My story I reached a milestone a while back, I have over 10,000 hrs of sleeping with turtles !!
Yes Fred has been with us 29 years. I have slept with 2 children per night ( all 4 when wife is away) Lumpy gets 1/2 hour or longer depends on how content he is. Poke has slept on me many times from 11 pm to 3 am. ( usually try for 1 hour ).
When you cuddle these little people after you warm them to our body temp within an hour (or sooner) the pee, so everyone is held on a towel ("snuggle towel").

When i first started sleeping with Poke (1993) he would lay on my chest, sneak up and put his chin on my chin and fall asleep. Now i don't know how many of you know how powerful their instincts are..... but when in the wild when they sleep they jamb themselves into a crack between rocks, tangle in weeds or stick in themselves in mud and if they feel they are floating away they instinctively jamb back in harder while staying 100% asleep. One night as poke was sleep crawling he touched his nose against my neck whiskers and bit me ( a good mouthful) I woke my wife, she went and got a wooden stir stick and pried his "lips" open and pulled him away, we turn on the light and he was sound asleep.
Poke now sleeps on my stomach and I fold the towel in half and put his nose in the crease to stop his sleep walk.
He no longer pees on me, I put him in his bed and continues to sleep til morning.(sleep buddy since 1993)

So moral of the story is they pee, poop and bite not to mention you don't want to squish them.

If I go to bed now without holding him i can't sleep,
I hold him and lie on my back with my hand on his back/butt and don't move an inch. Once I put him in bed I flip and flap like a fish out of water. (parental instinct)

You could try a tiny sleeping bag of non lint material (choking hazzard??) and put the little one on you (if you don't roll)
They become accustom to your smell and relate comfort with you.
Children that fit in the palm of your hand.
skipolippers

Return to Other Turtle Discussion