Other Turtle Discussion :: Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:04 pm   Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

I know that as RES get up there in age, that their red stripes darken. But today I was talking with some folks about an RES my friend found in the wild. One person mentioned that their stripes fade if they are too cold or "starving" (she meant haven't eaten for a long time). Has anyone heard of this? Is this even true?

To me it seems odd but I don't know everything there is to know about RES and other sliders.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm   Re: Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

That's not true... there are many variations of the strips, but cold/starvation should have no effect.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:32 pm   Re: Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

steve wrote:That's not true... there are many variations of the strips, but cold/starvation should have no effect.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks :)
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 pm   Re: Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

No problem... I wonder where people get these ideas from.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:38 pm   Re: Red stripes fade from cold/starvation?

theartbook35 wrote:I know that as RES get up there in age, that their red stripes darken. But today I was talking with some folks about an RES my friend found in the wild. One person mentioned that their stripes fade if they are too cold or "starving" (she meant haven't eaten for a long time). Has anyone heard of this? Is this even true?

To me it seems odd but I don't know everything there is to know about RES and other sliders.

I also never heard of this either. Take for example many threads you see here on these forums and other forums with people reporting their turtles not eating and illnesses that were reported. Many times, photos are asked to be provided and then you go and look at other photos that member posted of that same turtle and others that they may own. My observations is that there was no changes to its markings and of course different lighting in the photos may confuse a person on this issue as well unless you see the turtle in person yourself. So I agree with both of you that it is false all the way through,

Another prospective area to look at is to question the environment of the enclosure such as water conditions and substrate. Could this be a prospective area that something could be on a turtle itself making it appear to have their stripes fade but really is not? Just a curious thought on my end that can possibly lead to a answer regarding the husbandry of the member who posted this while comparing it to the conditions where it was located and captured in the wild.

Just a thought and very curious one at that. Very interesting area of research but again like I stated , I agree with both of you on it being false.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion