Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle Missing - Did he get eaten?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 am   Turtle Missing - Did he get eaten?

Hi All,

I have 5 red-eared sliders. 2 adults, 1 juvenile, and 2 babies. One of the babies was about 2 1/2 - 3 inches. He was starting to develop what I can guess was an abscess in his cheeks. I went to get him out of the tank for the vet appt. and he was missing. I keep them indoors in the winter in a large stock tank. There is virtually no way for him to have escaped because I keep the water way below the top of the tank. Is it possible for a large adult turtle to eat him? There is no shell present or anything that resembles pieces of shells or anything. I am in total shock. I checked all around the basement we have, it's very small 8 x 8 so there really isn't a lot of places for him to go. The only thing I can think of is that he was eaten. Is this possible?
jmg4991

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 am   Re: Turtle Missing - Did he get eaten?

It's possible, though I would not discount any escape theory if the basking area is against the side of the tank (especially if the turtles stack). I would recommend to separate the smaller turtles away from the bigger ones as soon as you can.

Good luck, I hope you're able to find him.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm   Re: Turtle Missing - Did he get eaten?

I hope you find him too.. :(
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Return to Other Turtle Discussion