Other Turtle Discussion :: Aggression during mating-male rejected

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:17 pm   Aggression during mating-male rejected

I have 2 RES, one female and one male. They are both 12 years old. The female is about 7 inches and the male is about 4 inches. They both reside in a two story tank with the bottom being 100 gallons of water and the top being a 40 gal. tank meant for basking only. The have lived together for all 12 years with separation not lasting longer than 5 hours.

In the past 4-5 months the female has rejected the males mating and wants nothing to do with him. In turn, the male has become very aggressive. He bites her on her back leg area and latches on until I physically separate them. I am scared he is hurting her and will eventually break the skin. I can tell she is extremely stressed when he is around and she does not fight back but rather subdue to the pain.

I have read other forums that say to chill the water, change their diet, get a bigger tank, and separate them for certain time periods and none of this is working. I have recently upgraded the tank from 60 gallons to 100 gallons and added the basking area to give them both plenty of space and this did not change any attitudes. They have been in the new tank for about 3 months and the aggression continues. I have changed their scenery several different times and added/removed different things to help with variety. I have varied their diet with fruits, vegetables, and pellets and I have chilled the water several different times.

I am at a loss of what to do and very reluctant to rehome the male turtle. I don't have the space or means for another tank set up as my current one is about $1,000 setup that I cannot do again at this point in time.

Any advice or pointers would help from fellow turtle lovers, I would try anything that I haven't already at this point.

Thank you
Alshortridge

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:41 pm   Re: Aggression during mating-male rejected

I don't think there is a reliable way to make them cohabital again. His behavior will only escalate and you need to have some sort of physical separation. It's not ideal, but there are few choices in this situation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:38 pm   Re: Aggression during mating-male rejected

Thank you. I was afraid of that. Right now I have him in a toddler pool make shift set up until I can figure something out permanently. Do you think he would be aggressive with all other turtles now that his behavior has changed?
Alshortridge

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:53 am   Re: Aggression during mating-male rejected

It will most likely come up again, may not immediately though.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion