Other Turtle Discussion :: should I get another?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm   should I get another?

George has been with me since August. I can see she's a female.

The guy at the aquarium suggested I get another in case George is lonely.

I used to have parakeets. I got a couple more to keep my first (and most closely bonded with) one company. And that's what happened: bonded with each other, but kind of saw me as the foreigner...

Then there's the whole gender thing. I never planned on breeding turtles, LOL. George still doesn't have everything she needs for her aquarium (like the light; she's surviving on plenty of natural sunlight, but still... I know she needs an upgrade).

Also, I'm concerned because I've heard red eared sliders can be territorial. George is not in a 10 gallon tank yet. I've heard of RES turtles clawing and fighting each other. I know George is still fairly young, but is it too late to add another sibling (or partner) to the environment?

I'm feeling biased. Tell me why picking up another RES from Chinatown (those bloody bootleggers) is a bad idea... I consider buying one from Chinatown L.A. a rescue, actually! Tell me why I should stick with one turtle and continue to bond with her so that she does not develop an even stronger mistrust for human beings...

By the way, I'm reporting the illegal sales to PETA today.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:38 pm   Re: should I get another?

Turtles are very territorial and do best alone. Even if they do get along, they could turn on each other any time and need complete separate set ups.
One RES named "The Hulk" (named by my kids. Lol ) 4 1/2" SCL
Rescued July 10, 2014 from a waste water treatment facility.
Joddog

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 pm   Re: should I get another?

Thank you! The guy at the pet store says he has around 10 red eared sliders. I would never be able to tell them apart, and that would defeat the purpose of having a pet friend in the first place (which for me is to bond with the little gal).

Thanks again!
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 am   Re: should I get another?

Oh, you will be able to tell them apart after some time with them. Does your city have a 311 system?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:57 am   Re: should I get another?

I'm not sure what a 311 system is...

If there were another, I would be able to differentiate based upon size. George is growing quickly! But I'm going to stick with one. One is good. :)
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:59 am   Re: should I get another?

311 (in NY) is city-wide non-emergency system... report health violations, get transit reports, etc.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:43 pm   Re: should I get another?

steve wrote:311 (in NY) is city-wide non-emergency system... report health violations, get transit reports, etc.

Oh, yes, I'm sure we do. I've already gone down the path with PETA. They want exact addresses and I've got 5 vendors + pictures.
Impulse Shopper

Return to Other Turtle Discussion