Other Turtle Discussion :: Male or Female? Updated...Lots of Photos

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 am   Male or Female? Updated...Lots of Photos

Hi, I hope I've posted this in the correct area?

Can someone please tell me if Yumi is a male or female red eared slider? He/she is now 9 1/2 months old and we need to buy a new tank asap.
Many thanks :)

[links fixed - steve]
Last edited by thailand on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
thailand

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:20 am   Re: Male or Female?

There are no clear shots of the areas I usually look at but seems like a male :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 pm   Re: Male or Female?

See. And I'd guess female. The claws aren't that long and only look slightly that way because the whole foot is flexed. And the cloaca seems pretty close.

thailand, Steve has LOTS more experience at this than I do, but your turtle is almost exactly the same size as my female and I see lots of similarity. Can you get a clearer shot of the tail from beneath? That and a picture of the front feet when they aren't flexed or moving will give us a clearer sense. I bet then that Steve and I will agree. But, I'm not going to get that I won't be the person to change my mind. :)
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:01 am   Re: Male or Female?

You might be right... I wouldn't mind a better pic to go on.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:39 am   Re: Male or Female?

Thanks for your input. Ok, I will get better photos tomorrow morning. Also if you could please tell me if he/she looks to be growing too fast? Yumi has had/is having a big growth spurt at the moment. I just want to be sure he/she is looking ok healthwise too. Thanks :D
thailand

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 pm   Re: Male or Female?

It's possible, but I'd need to see clearer pics of the top shell as well. If the seams are wide or thick, then it's likely there is fast growth. A bumpy shell or retained scutes could also indicate that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:52 am   Re: Male or Female? Updated Photos - Lots

Hi, here's some better photos. Hope I haven't gone too crazy with photo overload? :roll: I wanted to be sure to give you as much opportunity as possible to be sure of the sex. Many, many thanks :D Oh - and if you wouldn't mind telling me if the size looks ok for 9 1/2 months old. His/her shell measures 3 1/4 " top to bottom and pretty much the same side to side.

[fixed also - steve]
thailand

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:58 am   Re: Male or Female?

Oops...sorry Steve, only just noticed that you fixed the links for the first lot of photos, and most likely I've done the 2nd lot wrong too. Sorry.
thailand

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:28 am   Re: Male or Female? Updated...Lots of Photos

OK, it looks more like a :msgreen:. The size isn't that bad for her age, but protein should be cut back. Probably go with the yearling feeding amounts.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion