Other Turtle Discussion :: Possible fighting? New behavior

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 pm   Possible fighting? New behavior

So I recently moved my two sliders into a 55 gallon tank. They just did something I have never seen them do before. It kind of looked like they were fighting. They were nose to nose and one would shake his two front feet really fast and then the other would shake his. Is this something I need to worry about? I have never seen them do it and I would think that now they have plenty of room so there isn't anything to fight over. One of the turtles is a little more aggressive but only towards the fish and shrimps but they are there for food. I just don't want him to be a bully. :(
a_rice

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:50 am   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

It's called fluttering and they could be territorial. It sometimes happens in new tanks. Hopefully they will get a long, but males usually have to be separated.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 am   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

:( I don't know what I will have to do if they have to be separated. Right now they are still pretty small so maybe they can grow to love each other more? Lol.
a_rice

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 am   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

It's quite annoying having multiple turtle tanks. A large tank that you can divide would be the easiest way to do it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:17 pm   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

Oh ok. I didn't even think about that. I would be more willing to do that. Lol. If needed. I hope you can get along. I am going to et a bigger basking area. I think maybe they were arguing over that. Lol
a_rice

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

:D As soon as I read this, I immediately thought of... the turtles mating lol. Turtles "flutter" their claws and swim all around in circles of the female to..um 'invite' (?) I guess, but if the female doesn't wanna, a fight will start. So if you dont want little turtle-ings running around, I suggest seperating them. ;) However, if they are both male, they're obviously not gonna mate, but like Steve said, males are more aggressive and territorial and is probably a good idea to seperate them now, before anything... bad happens. For basking area, you can make a ATBA (Above Tank Basking Area), if you are the DIY type. Just search anywhere, and you will find loads of information and pictures.
Visit my blog! http://trailerparkturtles.wordpress.com/

Trachemys scripta elegans:
Sandy - m - 6"
Bubbles - m - 4.5"
Jimmy - f - 6.75"
Blacky - f - 7.5"
Goliath - f - 7.75"

Chrysemys picta picta:
Squirt - 3"
jgreerberube

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

I would love to make an ATBA but I don't have any tools or anything so I'm very limited. :( I keep hoping I will see something I can do myself but I have yet to see it and I have been searching nonstop.

Right now the turtles are only a couple inches long so I don't really know for sure what their sexes are. How old are they when mating happens? I have been watching them non stop for any more of the fluttering behavior and haven't seen it. They have been acting Normal as they usually do. I will keep watching and see if it happens again.
a_rice

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

Check this thread out for an idea. I made it from about $15 worth of stuff from the hardware store.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34081
devilduck

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 am   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

WOW, I didn't know that RES males would fight. I have a RES named Wilson (6.5 inches) and my grandson has one that is too young to know if it's a male or female. I wanted to give Wilson to him with my tank that's 75 gal., with a very good fluval filter, a heater and large basking area. I'm retired now and want to travel, but I am hesitant about leaving Wilson. Any suggestions?
Lizzy

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:50 am   Re: Possible fighting? New behavior

You mean for a pet-sitter? Bring over a temporary set up with all the basics.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion