Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle deaths

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 am   Turtle deaths

This is just a page to place your sadness of a turtle dying. Some may say that being sad over a 'gross' 'scaly' reptile is weird, but it isn't. This may help others not make the same mistakes that caused your turtle to die or follow in your footsteps of a long happy turtle life with a peaceful (but still quite saddening) end.
RIP (December 25- February 3)Aqua
RIP (December 8- February 4) Turquoise
RIP 1 guinea pig- Maple Sugar
RIP (idr-idk) 2 shrimp- Glutton & Dancer
Triops longicadatus - Anthera
Aqua&turquoise

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:32 am   Re: Turtle deaths

There is a turtle/pet memorial page here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19071

It's up to the poster to add details, though they usually create a new topic to discuss it. The memorial page is just to remember our good friends.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 pm   Yolie's Big Girl

Big Girl, I did the best with the knowledge I had. I'll miss you. So smart and pretty.
yolie1225

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:19 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

My 14 year old RES passed away this morning and it was somewhat out of the blue. He's been in and out of the vet with high kidney levels and not eating, but after his last checkup, he was okay. I don't mean to be morbid, but I found him resting on the bottom of the tank with his eyes open and his mouth, slightly agape. I'm afraid it may have been something I could have prevented. Is it common for turtles to pass on with their eyes open? :cry:
Thank you so much.
Janetmst3

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:54 am   Re: Turtle deaths

I don't have much to go on, but most of the time it's closed as it can seem like a slow process. Very sorry about RES :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:52 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

Thank you so much. I am soooo upset and now I am reading about how turtles aren't always dead when you think they are. Do you think that since his eyes were open maybe he still was alive? Ugh, I can't help but wonder if I should go back to where I buried him and look? He was 14 and I fear that was too young and I'm so upset with guilt that it was something I did or that I could have saved him. His eyes were not sunk in but I had him in a towel for about two hours before I finally laid him to rest. Any advice or words of comfort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Janetmst3

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

I think if you had been battling kidney disease and did not see any signs of life as you were handling him, he had passed. I'm very sorry, but I don't think you need to worry you made a mistake.

I was once certain my turtle was dead when she had knocked the filter intake loose and become stuck. When I pulled her out and was in shock, I saw signs of life within minutes. I don't say this to add to the stories of certain death that weren't, but to tell you that in the one death that wasn't I experienced, it was obvious quickly that I was wrong.

Again, my sympathies.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 am   Re: Turtle deaths

Thank you so much for your insighgt and sympathies. It is comforting. I'm glad your little guy was okay.
Janetmst3

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 am   Re: Turtle deaths

What are the proper handling procedures when a turtle dies? Should the local animal services be called?
AlexNYC

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 am   Re: Turtle deaths

Well, if you want the vet to do a necropsy, then bag it and then put it in the refrigerator. I've heard of some people freezing to ensure a complete cessation of life. You can throw it away with regular trash, though burials are the most popular method.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

steve wrote:Well, if you want the vet to do a necropsy, then bag it and then put it in the refrigerator. I've heard of some people freezing to ensure a complete cessation of life. You can throw it away with regular trash, though burials are the most popular method.

Good to know that "throwing out" is acceptable, since I live in NYC and there is almost no place for underground burial, and if there is some [like in public park] then there is a chance to get fined/ticketed by the authorities [cops or park employees]. I had 8 parakeets that died on me throughout the years, and I pretty much packed their bodies in the shipping bubble wrap and then sealed them air-tightly into 9x12 craft envelope, with shipping tape allover it.

What about those "stuffing" services for the turtles?; where the skilled people take out all the internal organs of the pets and make them into the statues. [I don't remember how the profession is officially called, but I seen it on the Discovery channel].
AlexNYC

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

It's called taxidermy, I think.
Bobo - 7 1/2 year old female RES
80 gallon tank, JBL CristalProfi e1501 Greenline canister filter, Eheim Jager 200W heater, Reptile UVB 100 25W bulb (former ReptiGlo 5.0 26W)
xcristina

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:05 pm   Re: Turtle deaths

I personally would find a nice, sunny area where I think they would like to bask.

As for taxidermy, it's not for me. There is a trade in which small reptiles and insects are encased in lucite but I have not seen that done for owners and keepers. It's a bit tacky IMHO.

Some people have expressed a desire to keep the shell. I think it needs to be buried for a short while, then dug up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:26 am   Re: Turtle deaths

I hope this is not too morbid for others, but I think preserving the shell is also a way to preserve the memory of the turtle. You can disagree with me, since I too know the disadvantages of preserving the turtle's shell. For some it may be a painful reminder of the past, but for me, it will be a great memento of a life well-lived, even though it is a turtle. The process may be long and difficult (search it in youtube), but I think this is the way we will go.

My heart goes to those who lost a pet turtle. I know that you have done all the best (vet visits, seeking advise, and prayers). I also hope that you have a stronger heart to adopt other turtles to give them a better home.
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:37 am   Re: Turtle deaths

steve wrote:I personally would find a nice, sunny area where I think they would like to bask.

As for taxidermy, it's not for me. There is a trade in which small reptiles and insects are encased in lucite but I have not seen that done for owners and keepers. It's a bit tacky IMHO.

Some people have expressed a desire to keep the shell. I think it needs to be buried for a short while, then dug up.

How long should the shell be buried for?
AlexNYC

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion