Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing question.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm   Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing question.

Pretty much what it sounds like. One of my turtles occasionally cranes its neck around and tries to nip its own front leg (usually the right one). Hasn't drawn blood or broken the skin yet, but it worries me a little. Does anyone have a possible explanation for this? It seems to be happening more frequently the last week or so. Maybe the turtle has an itch? Maybe it's bored?

Also, how early does the size difference between males and females start to become apparent? I've noticed that the foot-biting turtle is now about 1/8" longer than the other, and proportionally larger all around (bigger head, feet, etc.). I think they're about the same age. Does this mean I have a male and female?
Jea

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 am   Re: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing quest

My turtle likes to bite her front arms a lot when she's shedding or if something irritates her skin.

Also, the gender difference is more noticeable when their shell is about 4 inches long. :mrgreen:

You should post photos of your turtles so maybe the folks on this board can give their guess on the gender of your turtles. :)
Miss Bowser - 7 inch female RES
Ashley

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm   Re: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing quest

I think my RES does it when he's itchy.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 pm   Re: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing quest

Post a photo of your turtle and we can probably help confirm the gender :D

Also, turtles usually nip at their legs when they are shedding. Shedding tends to be itchy for them, so, you'll see them rub the sides or rump part of their shell against rocks or anything with a rough texture. This helps loosen their skin or scutes, and, honestly, it is probably a huge relief for them!
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 pm   Re: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing quest

I found that my turtle does this too when she is gravid. I think maybe she hurts on the side she nips at her foot.
When she is gravid, she is very sensitive to being touched.
Parker's Mom
cchipres

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm   Re: Turtle keeps trying to bite own foot. Also, sexing quest

My baby snapper has been doing this , though he bites his left arm.
ScorchedDragon

Return to Other Turtle Discussion