Other Turtle Discussion :: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Sorry I did not look through every post to see if someone corrected this for New York, but they are not native to NY and are legal to possess beacuse they are not native. In NY you cannot possess a turtle native to NY without a license from the NYSDEC.
Audubon73

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:00 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In Russian Federation
You can buy approximately all kinds of water turtles. Especially RES and russian march turtle.
if it is not rare vanishing species of turtles.
But Testudo graeca Iberia in blacklist of Redbook RF: These tortoises are prohibited for sale.
Оther types of tortoises can be purchased with a large number of special documents or illegally.
But I know the funny story when one russian tourist :) oh, how to say... they were on Caribian islands like another normally tourists from Germany, France etc. This tourist was very extravagant and different in his knowledge of biology especially in sea turtles :) He`ve decided that small black little turtle is wonderful surprice for his children in Moscow. Because it so small :) I think, no one else never has an idea to bring at home a small sea turtle. She was placed in bathroom and several months later they gave the growing turtle to the ocean aquarium. They were earnestly requested not to bring more sea turtles in the future from vacation. :roll:
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... %20Turtles
1 RES / scripta elegance / Earl (Graf in Russian) was born ~ April 2012
1 RES / scripta troosti / Kumberland (Kumber) was born ~ August 2012
http://vk.com/brigitta_stefania
Stefania

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In Hungary the keeping is legal, but breeding and selling them is illegal. You can only buy them from other RES keepers, so finding a baby is really hard. You can also get one from a local pound, every single little puddle is full of RES here, and they superseded all the native turtle species. And that's just because people weren't think before they bought those cute little turtles and when they started to grow they set them free into lakes and rivers.. Lucly now I can see some terrapins again, but for some years they were rare as white ravens. I think it was really needed to ban the selling of RES.
RES: The Turtles (two 11years old femalses)
Rats: Rata & Szutyok
Cat: Mufurc
tottyturtle

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Maine:

This is from the department of inland fisheries and wildlife: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/human ... icted.html

"Red-Eared Slider, Trachemys scripta elegans – Beginning on January 1, 2010, the Commissioner will remove the red-eared slider from the list of Unrestricted Fish and Wildlife Species. On this date, it will no longer be legal for commercial pet shops to possess or offer for sale the red-eared slider. The Department has become aware of escaped or released populations of these non-native turtles in the wild. By removing the turtle from the unrestricted list, the Department seeks to minimize or prevent any further occurrence of this potentially invasive species. Red-eared sliders legally possessed by individuals prior to January 1, 2010 may continue to be possessed, but may not be sold, transferred, traded, or released." :mrgreen:
Mimi2cas

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:20 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In Spain Red Eared Sliders were banned in 2003 but anyway I could find Elvis in 2012 in a pet shop...the owner was selling him like other kind. And nowadays there are so many RES for sale in the shops. In 2013 any kind of Trachemys was banned here. Now there are Graptemys, Pseudemys, Mauremys in sale on the pet shops.
Ilsa: my fisr rescue (YBS)
Elvis: mum's boy (RES Rio Grande)
Sam: angry boy (YBSxCS)
Beth: the miracle (YBSxCS)
Luke: the little cutie (M.Reevesii)
In memorian: Osky (map turtle), Peach (YBS) and Rick (YBS), Unnamed (Leopard tortoise).
sms15

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:46 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I think it's been around 10 years since RES have been forbidden to be sold in Slovenia. But they've found a way around it and now they're selling yellow-bellied sliders instead.

There are a lot of RES in the nature - people have just let them go in their local ponds, lakes or rivers and they're really wide-spread. Unfortunately the native European pond turtle has been endangered because of RES living in the wild. :mrgreen:
Astrid

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I'm Chinese, so those people don't really care that much about turtles:-?, but yes, they're legal
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:37 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

steve wrote:There is a federal law banning sales for certain sizes because of salmonella (hatchling + kid = turtle in mouth = sick kid).

The state laws are in place because people release them into the wild because they no longer want them. RES are very hardy and can out compete native species and disrupt ecosystems.

This federal law went into effect in 1975 and strongly enforced after 12 confirmed non-fatal illnesses from salmonella from 2006 to 2007 and one fatal of a 3 week old baby girl died from salmonella on July 9th, 2007 in which all these cases were linked to baby turtles and or turtles under 4 inches . Salmonella in all these cases were confirmed linked to the turtles by Medical Doctors.

Post where “ The Computer Gremlin Stated above:

TheComputerGremlin wrote:Cannot be sold in Florida, can be shipped out of Florida to other states, cannot be released, cannot be bred, if you already own one, you can keep it.

I understand now that in Florida only selected red ear slider morphs are permitted and the law still applies that turtles must be over 4 inches still UNLESS for educational purposes. This is the loop hole in the laws in which pet stores and other sell babies less than 4 inches. Law enforcement does not watch customers to verify it is for educational purposes only so pet stores and breeders alike get around this law simply by usually placing a note on the holding tanks the state “Turtles under 4 inches are purchased for education purposes only.” . The truth is, so many pet shops and breeders do not check if it is for educational purposes and results into the owners of these turtles not being well kept with the turtles needs and or researching their selves on forums like this or social media turtle pages unfortunately sometimes when it is to late and the turtle needing licensed exotic veterinarian care and or the turtle dies from neglecting its needs in their enclosures such as UVB or diets as a example.

Due to these Florida Laws, I had to go with purchasing red ear slider morphs such as my albinos and hybinos in order to be legal and still enjoy red ear sliders as a whole. I don’t mind but the money put out to purchase the morphs are so very high. I don’t regret buying the ones I have. I actually get stress relief in watching them daily and I tend to watch them more than t.v. in general.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:54 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I'm from Singapore.
They're legal to purchase and keep as pets but illegal to release.
juzme09

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:22 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

What about Washington State? Haven't seen anything from that state. Anyone got info for there?
Turd

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:24 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Probably legal to keep, illegal to release.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion