Other Turtle Discussion :: Reptiles' Sept. Issue: Turtle Fans, The Wait is Over

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:30 pm   Reptiles' Sept. Issue: Turtle Fans, The Wait is Over

I went into Petco yesterday to check things out. As I was in the checkout line, I glanced at the magazine rack and noticed the September issue of Reptiles. Normally I glance at the cover an only sometimes see an article devoted to turtles. But September's issue is an All-Turtle Issue. In the Editor's note, this is the first time a special issue has been devoted to turtles. Readers are assured that in the future, a conscious effort will be made to publish more info about them.

There's some interesting info (and some I know we'd take issue with) as well as some nice pics (except the ones of the snapper being held up :evil: and the two-headed baby :cry: ), so if anyone can get their hands on a copy, you might give it a look through.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:38 pm   

Are there any snakes in it?? I can't look at it if there is .. LOL. I've had to avoid the posting about My Pets because of it. I'm seriously phobic about them.. which really sucks when you want to go to reptile sites and they are all over it. That's when flutterby comes in handy.. make her check first :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:39 pm   

I think there's a picture of one--it had to do with the previous month's issue. I kind of like them. I had pet snake when I was a kid; his name was Sammy. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:40 pm   

lol so if I buy one .. I need someone else to go through it first to get rid of it :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:41 pm   

Well, he's not going to leap off the page and bite you. :D (A little desensitization can be good.) :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:42 pm   

Ummm nope doesn't work :(

I'm talking a serious phobia here. Can't see them on tv, pictures.. walking in a pet store can be a real thrill... NOT!! I've tried but its not going to happen in this lifetime that I'm sure of :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:59 pm   

That's too bad, I was thinking of getting a corn snake, but I heard you have to feed them mice, and I don't think I'd be able to handle that.....
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:19 pm   

cam722 wrote:Ummm nope doesn't work :(

I'm talking a serious phobia here. Can't see them on tv, pictures.. walking in a pet store can be a real thrill... NOT!! I've tried but its not going to happen in this lifetime that I'm sure of :)

I had a friend exactly like that. People who don't have that phobia just do not understand. I don't like snakes, but I can watch them on tv and stuff, just not hold them. But I used to have a huge phobia of spiders. I couldn't even stand the itty-bitty ones in the house. So you can imagine what happened one night my husband just so happened to be gone on business and I was laying in bed watching tv in the dark and saw something huge fall from the ceiling fan. It was a huge brown spider. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep for a long time that night. My sister ended up coming over from the other side of town, tearing apart my bedroom, and killing it for me. I felt like an idiot but when you are that afraid of something, it sends you into major panic mode and you can't function properly. So I know how you feel, Carol. It's a good thing you've got Flutterby to be there for you. Oh by the way, somehow I've managed to shake some of that phobia...still don't like spiders but I can kill them now by myself. :wink:
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:43 pm   

She's rather good about not torturing me with it, but the boys and my grandkids are another story all together. I can't count the number of times I've heard.. "Mom mom, come quick there's just something you need to see on tv... to find out it was a snake!!!" Or the 4 yr old grandson going to me.. Nanny Nanny look, while in the pet store.. Now, I should know better but noooo I looked.. and it was a snake. I'm not even sure what I said to the poor kid haha.

I'm not afraid of spiders but don't let a mouse in my house or its panic mode!!! I've been known to sit in a chair feet all tucked under until someone else came in the house to assure me it was safe to put my feet down. They still love torturing me about those things. Now, flutterby has her own phobias.. she's not overly fond of spiders but she's not afraid of much else, animal or human :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:43 pm   

andywoo87

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:52 pm   

lol umm Nope :) Can't look at those either. I won't even open the link you have beacuse I've already seen them and well they just give me the willies.. Quite honestly, there are times my sweet adorable babies freak me out when they look reptile/snake like :lol: That's what amazes me about how much I love them.. i could never have in a million years figured I'd be able to handle them. This is as close to a snake as I'll ever get.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:18 pm   

thanks for the notice marisa. i'll actually have to look for it... and maybe we should start a campaign for an all-RES issue ;)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:52 pm   

Thank you for the heads up Marisa. I will check it out.
TexasJagsFan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion