Other Turtle Discussion :: A Usual Pet Store Trip

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:50 pm   

As with any industry, the bottom line is profit. Its very unfortunate that many turtles are easy to breed and RES especially are very abundant. It makes them inexpensive and their cuteness factor doesn't help. Many of us are impulse buyers, and I did not know what I was in for... I was ignorant as well. Plus, most sellers lie or are just completely unknowledgeable and most will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:54 pm   

What I don't understand is why would you hire someone to work for you if you weren't aware of the product requirements? Maybe its just me but the store where I worked, I made sure I knew what I was talking about because people respected me more and were more likely to bring return business.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:27 pm   

I think because they are inexpensive, they really don't care. They're just disposable pets to them and it's too unfortunate. You seem to actually take pride and seriousness in your work, a lot of people don't.

Captive RES are hatched by the millions a year in the US and are too easy to get. I'd bet if someone paid $200 for a turtle, they'd make more of an effort to properly care for it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 pm   

What i dont get is if they want profit why would they say that they dont need a uv light, unless they think you wont get turtle cause of that, for me the main cost wasnt my turtles it was tank, filter lights. I think its more just plain ignorance, then profit concerns, I have run into maybe 2 or 3 people at pet stores that know what they are talking about most others just like to make you think they know anything :P
Owner of:
Puff N' Stuff- 3.5" female
Itty- 1.3" (cant tell yet)
Bitty-1.5" (cant tell yet)
Grifter420

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:35 pm   

I know that if I knew all the expense of having 3 turtles .. and doing it all properly I never would have gotten them. Well at least not 3 :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:05 pm   

Same here, if I had known what it takes to take good care of a turtle, I would've just settled for one, if any at all. :D, I am still glad I got my babies though. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:38 pm   

if i would have been warned at how expensive everything is i prolly would have told morgan for her to keep the turtle.

everytime i go into a pet store though i ask someone about the turtle see if they know anything and i always get an i dont know or i dont know but you hav ea turtle thats so cool....im likeing going to petsmart though the girl that gets me the feeder fish is HOT!!!
my turtle eats better than me and my cat.
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:42 pm   

I've always thought the owner of our local petstore was pretty good with turtles. He has a 100gal tank for his babies.. but then this week I saw he had larger turtles, 2 maybe the size of mine and then a 2 or so bigger than that even. They barely had any water and what was in there looked absolutely gross. He even told me they don't need a UVB light. Well so much for his reputation with me. I buy things from him that are more expensive at the other or they simply don't have, like feeder fish, crickets. But I won't be buying much there anymore, definitely nothing I can get online for much less.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:54 pm   

The local pet store here has several large RES, they have a pretty good sized pond, the water is a little cloudy, but it's not a bad pond.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:43 pm   

Thanks for your opinions. That's a good idea though Flutterby. What i was thinking was i should make something like a card that i could give to petstores about not just RES but any Turtles. Turtles have much better personalitys whenever they are cared for and are "sUpEr DuPeR hApPy". My turtle doesnt like being alone so much that if i put her down she runs after me :lol: . It may sound a teeny bit dumb to people but then again, How would THEY like it if they were shoved in a tank with other people who are the same size and bigger with a little bit of place to walk.
LIFE IS LIKE A TURTLE. I DON'T KNOW HOW. IT JUST IS. I DON'T HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS. IM JUST A KID. SO DROP IT.
turtlezilla

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion