Other Turtle Discussion :: how old is my turt?????

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:22 pm   how old is my turt?????

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how old you turt is?
tubbie_turtle

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:49 pm   

There is really no method to tell age. How big are your turtles and how long have you had them. Turtles are measured top to bottom of the shell in a straight line (not with the curve of the shell).
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:23 pm   

my Jasmine is 7 1/2". She was a rescue. I've had her about 4 mos.
tubbie_turtle

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:46 pm   

If I had to take a guess, I'd say around 6 years.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm   

I don't know man.. my Willy is 7 inches exactly and I've had her for 3+ years.

yes.. I need to update my sig.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:48 am   

Ours are 5 & 8 inches long and we have had them for 4 years now. The female is the larger and male smaller.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:01 pm   

Do you know if the turtle was wild caught or captive bred? The size will also depend on genetics, environmental factors like warmth and the diet (and how much) she was previously fed.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:27 pm   

I don't know about her past. I believe she was a pet at one time....but was found walking down the street about 1 1/2 miles from the river. They do not live in this area naturally. She was covered in river mud when my daughter brought her to me. She almost ran her over in the street. I believe someone dumped her at the river. All I have been able to get her to eat, is anchovies. Very popular bait for the Colorado River. I know this isen't the best for her....I offer all sorts of veggies, fruit, and different kinds of fish, but won't eat any of them.
tubbie_turtle

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:35 pm   

Rather than anchovies (very salty and I've never seen them not packed in oil), will she at least eat sardines packed in water? As a treat my RES gets a little canned salmon packed in water and he loves the bones (cleaned and rinsed well).

At her age, though, plant matter should be an important part of her diet. You could try marinating some pieces of red-leaf or romaine lettuce in tuna water to get the scent on it (other leafy greens such as dandelions would work as well). You may have to get a little tough and withhold food she likes until she's hungry enough to eat something new. Or, you could try making your own by pureeing veggies with something smelly (if you want a recipe, let me know.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:03 pm   

the anchovies we get out here are quick frozen. they aren't in any fluid. we buy them through the bait store. I have tried tuna in water,and salmon. When we go fishing (and catch stripper) I can get her to eat that.
will have to try marinating veggies. thanx
tubbie_turtle

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:28 pm   

Mine is only about a a year and a half old, and his shell is only like 1 3/4" long.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:22 pm   

I have three turtles that i got from a friend. one is 2'' and the others are about 1 1/2". i just wanted to know the exact month so i could celebrate their birthday and stuff. im pretty sure they are not a year old yet. It would be great if someone replied.
I LOVE turtles, dont u?
yaseeris2fast4u

Return to Other Turtle Discussion