Photo Gallery :: Tank setup completed. (The turtles have landed)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:20 am   

3 questions, lol
How did you make the screen that goes between the lamp and the basking spot? I want to do something like that so I can raise the water level of my tank!

Also, What does someone suggest I use for a hiding place for a 5" RES? Clearly coffee mugs and PVC wont work lol.

And finally, Why do you clip the lettuce and carrots to the side? What does that do?

Sorry for all teh questions, but I like the setup a lot, and I hope you dont mind if I steal a few of your ideas lol
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:44 am   

Actually, one more question haha:
What's the light/other thing above the right side of the tank?
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:59 am   

The frame was made from simple window/door trim that was glued and clamped together. (No nails). Then it was sanded and stained, then a couple of coats of polyurethane. The screen is simple 1/2" hardware cloth, coated with vinyl. It was attached using #6x3/8" screws with flat washers. Everything, including the Elmer's glue, was purchased at Home Depot. I'll post some detailed pics tonight....

The pipe fitting I use is 4". Most "big box" hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) carry fittings as big as 6". I know they make them as large as 8", maybe larger. If you have a plumbing supply house near you, it's a good place to start.
A cheaper alternative, if you are handy with tools, is to get a large clay flower pot and using a Roto-Zip or a Dremel with the appropriate bit, cut it in half lengthwise, or just partially bury it in some rocks to hold it in place.

I clip the veggies, and sometimes a large piece of cuttle bone to the tank only to keep them from dragging it down to the bottom where it can get stuck in the intakes. And with three turts, I believe it also prevents one from hogging it, thus avoiding a fight. Also I noticed that when things are floating around, they always seem to settle just out of reach....

The light on the left side is a cheap (less than 10 bucks) plastic 18" fluorescent, like the "under counter" types, with mounting holes both on the top and rear. All I did was remove the plastic cover over the bulb and mount it to the rear bracket (there is a pic of that in my first post) then I made a top piece out of another piece of wood that doubles as a small shelf. I left the sides open so I could slide the fixture out to change the bulb. I also put some foil tape on the inside for more reflection. Again, all was obtained at Home Depot.....
Last edited by grey goose on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:03 am   

Here's the link to my first post, with more overall detail on how it was set up.

http://redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6143
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:25 am   

I use the clips as well- they're great! And actually kind of funny to watch your RES eat off of! Leo likes to grab a hold of whatevers in the clip and pull as hard as he can- sometimes losing grip and flying backwards! :lol: But if you take whatever veggie your turltle likes and put it in there- it makes it easier for them to eat because it holds it in place for them! Leo will still eat lettuce that I just throw in the tank but if i put some lettuce in that clip by the time I come home at the end of the day there are chunks taken from every angle of it- if not almost entirely gone! :D
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
JNZBCBnLIL

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:34 am   

Gomez will get underneath it an sort of hug the bottom of it and eat upside down. :D And when it's a carrot or a turnip, They lock onto it with their beaks, and pull and pull, til it comes off and they go flying backwards! Very funny....
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 am   

Awww Leo did that the first time he ever had carrots in his clip... and I think it frustrated him to the point of not liking them! lol He just chomped and chomped and seemed so excited but everytime he tried to pull a piece off he'd go flying backwards! I just watched him in aw of how silly little turtles can be! I don't think a lot people realize how entertaining they are! :P
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
JNZBCBnLIL

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:02 pm   

I love how creative you were with the plants, rocks, & pvc pipe! Looks great. Glad the kids love it too!
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:04 pm   

Thanks! Well, they seem to be having a nice time of it, checking out all there is to see. They are sort of behaving like tourists, looking here and there, kinda like a turtle Disneyland with no lines!
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:38 pm   

did you have to buy an air pump made for that big of a tank? I was going to get the air stone, but the pumps are made for different size tanks...does it matter?
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:41 pm   

I got whats called a "deep water" pump. I don't know if I actually needed that type, but it works really well....
Anyway this is what I got, however it doesn't look quite like the one I have. They may have changed the design.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... rpumpdw962
It's probably overkill, but it works really well, very strong.
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:47 pm   

Also you should know that I bought that pump about 3-4 years ago. I can't recall what I paid, but it was a lot less than that! Whew!
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:08 pm   

lol I hope you don't mind, but I plan on pretty much copying your setup. The only difference is instead of tile, I have one of those green, two level ramps with the suction cups, and instead of PVC pipe, I have a big log that I bought a while back. Thanks alot for the ideas!!

By the way, I went back to your first post, and I can't really figure out how you made the screen, or cut the acrylic/added the handles. Any way you can help me out? Thanks again!
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:16 pm   

Oh, I forgot! I've been running around so much today I feel like I'm chasing my tail! When I get home tomorrow, I take some pics so you have a better idea how it's done...promise.
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm   

haha, thanks a lot! no hurry
Brianthedog18

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery