Photo Gallery :: Tank setup completed. (The turtles have landed)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41 pm   Tank setup completed. (The turtles have landed)

"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."

My turts love digging around in the rocks, I hate having to clean up after them. So I compromised. I took five small Tupperware containers and drilled some holes in the bottom. then on cleaning day, i just lift them out and rinse.

In one, I drilled a hole in the side, and ran an airline to an airstone, then covered it with rocks.

The "dry fit". The coffee mug is a "hidey hole". I'll have to remove it when they get bigger. Don't fill the containers all the way or you'll be picking rocks up off the tank floor. I also plan on putting some fake plants around the containers, to try to hide them.

I hate PVC in a tank. I think it looks terrible. But the kids love this stupid thing, so who am I to argue? So I spruced it up a bit using genuine imitation plants and small nylon ties.

I figure the little pot on the right will last a day or two before the little stinkers knock it over and scatter its contents all over the tank...on the left is a small vase, just another place to hide out from the Big Head.

Before I set the tiles in place I drilled some holes for some more genuine imitation plants. I didn't glue them down so I could remove them for cleaning. They will probably end up getting ripped out and thrown in the water anyway......

Then I set up the filters. That's a Fluval 404 in the foreground (with "new and improved" handles), and a 203 (old handles) on the other side. I don't know if this is going to be enough to handle three growing turts, I may be upgrading to an FX5 or XP4.

Then, with the background in place, all that's left is to drop in the turtles. This was done on Thursday morning, and they scurried to the bottom to hide. I left them with two large romaine leaves, and a baby carrot clipped to the tank.

Here's what I found when I got home from work....that was a large piece of romaine.

So was this...and in the background, you can see whats left of the carrot, chewed down to the nub. I guess their new surroundings didn't affect their appetite....

Here's some shots of the interior. I took a hanging plant and attached it to the tank with a suction cup just above the water line so it would look like it was all one piece with the plants on the pipe.

The rocks with a little camouflage...note the 200 watt Tronic heater w/guard. I'm using two of 'em...

Here's the kids playing follow the leader in that pipe...they've been doing this since the first week I've had them.

Here's Gomez (see the little moustache?) checking out the new ramp. But wait! Is that the Big Head hiding behind those bright lights?

"Here kitty, kitty..."

"No thanks Mr. Big Head, I'll just bask over here in the water." For a small turtle, he sure got some big feet!

Then Big Daddy comes over, and wonders what it would be like to bask among genuine imitation plants.

Big Daddy is beginning to look more and more like Big Momma!

Beaker: "Yea, definitely gonna miss Wapner.....

This is as close as I've seen Beaker get to the basking ramp. He's such a scaredy cat. Note the temp control for the Tronic heater.....

And that's about it. I still have to do a little tweaking here and there, and continue to keep an eye on the ramps, but I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far....

All the materials I've used in this design are readily available at your local hardware store. And with the exception of the basking areas, which I don't recommend the novice (or faint of heart) attempt as I'm still testing its long term usefulness, anyone with a working knowledge of tools (the only power tools I used was a drill for the stand and wood brackets, and a Dremel for cutting the tiles and covers) should be able to pull it off.
I'm going to be putting ramps on a 35 gal. tank in about a week or so. I'm still waiting to hear back from the adhesive guy. I'll take pics of the whole procedure and post 'em.....

SHELL PROBLEM???? WHAT SHELL PROBLEM??????

Last edited by grey goose on Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grey goose

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:56 pm   

wow!!!!! That looks awesome, so jealous...

hahaha.
:D
Last edited by xsavingsaturdayx on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
xsavingsaturdayx

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:29 am   

you should create your own tv show called 'pimp my turtle tank'
edgerton

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:25 am   

I do believe that has to be the most excellent setup I have ever seen. I hope to have a setup like that some day. Whats the gallon size of your tank?
WeirdMeta

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 am   

That is FREAKING AMAZING!!! I'm SO jealous!

edgerton wrote:you should create your own tv show called 'pimp my turtle tank'

I agree! :D

Only thing with the rocks in the containers, you'll probably have to the containers at one point, as they may get scummy. Let us know how that works out for you though! I think if Ralph had that the rocks would be scattered in less than a day o.o
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49 am   

That tank is amazing!! Even though you probably won't be able to make your own show- you do an awesome job of letting all of us know what you're up to on that job! :P I hope to make Leo's tank a turtles paradise one day! I have a feeling I'll be using your tank as an example- what size is your tank exactly?

p.s. you're turtles are soo cute! And so brave to stay out and let Mr. big head take such close up pictures! (my baby's a scardy cat!) lol
Jennifer and Brandon

1 RES- Leo(na) (1 y/o)
1 dog- Boomer (5 y/o)
1 cat- Joey (2 y/o)
JNZBCBnLIL

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:06 am   

Your tank looks abslutely gorgeous! I bet the "little vandals" will enjoy systematically ripping out all of those lovely genuine fake plants. um... whose turtle is the bottom pic? I remember you mentioned meatballs wih a shell, but I thought it was just an expression. He might be a smidge on the plump side.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am   

WeirdMeta wrote:I do believe that has to be the most excellent setup I have ever seen. I hope to have a setup like that some day. Whats the gallon size of your tank?

Thanks. It's a 90 gallon.
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 am   

LUCKY TURTLES...........................That setup rocks!!
Jayqualin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:56 am   

BullDog wrote:That is FREAKING AMAZING!!! I'm SO jealous!

edgerton wrote:you should create your own tv show called 'pimp my turtle tank'

I agree! :D

Only thing with the rocks in the containers, you'll probably have to the containers at one point, as they may get scummy. Let us know how that works out for you though! I think if Ralph had that the rocks would be scattered in less than a day o.o

Every 10 days or so, I lift them out and put them in a bucket, take them downstairs to the basement sink and run tap water thru them. After a minute or so, they are completely clean! The one with the airline has a small connector up on the rim for easy disconnect.
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:18 am   

scripta_elegans wrote:Your tank looks abslutely gorgeous! I bet the "little vandals" will enjoy systematically ripping out all of those lovely genuine fake plants. um... whose turtle is the bottom pic? I remember you mentioned meatballs wih a shell, but I thought it was just an expression. He might be a smidge on the plump side.

LOL Yes that's Gomez, and although the water is distorting his shell (a little trick photography) he is starting to get those "love handles". I have to feed him separately, the other two used to knock him down and take his pellets.....I've been cutting him back slowly. But he is the smallest of the three.
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:57 am   

When were your turtles born? I think our little guys (or girls) are about the same age. That last picture is a hoot! that is amazing distortion! What a pic!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:13 pm   

I got them in late March. My niece gave them to me as a "gift". (I'm still shaking my head over that one). I guess they were probably two, maybe three weeks when they arrived, so that puts them at about 8-1/2 months.

I just caught Beaker basking.....of course he shot off the ramp like a rocket, but I'm pleased (and relieved). If "Twenty Minutes" is basking, the other two won't be far behind....
grey goose

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:28 pm   

That is a wonderful job and a great post as well. It's one of the nicest indoor setup I've seen.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:58 pm   

Thanks steve! And thanks everybody for the kind compliments! Any one who has any questions just ask, or PM me......I'll be happy to help.
grey goose

Next

Return to Photo Gallery