Photo Gallery :: New tank !

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 pm   Re: New tank !

Looks great! How are you feeling about sand vs bare bottom? I would consider it at some point to give Sedge something more to do, but I don't know if I wanna deal with the hassle and mess...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 am   Re: New tank !

Thank you guys :D

Kingbird, before using sand I was all for bear bottom. But ever since I put sand in there, I would definitely encourage people not to. My turtles have been even more active than usual and I feel that they are having a lot of fun digging. Feels that it enriched their lives a lot!

I'm still doing minimum cleaning every two weeks and my water is still as clean as before, I think my filter catches a lot before the gunk gets buried.
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 am   Re: New tank !

Hmm thanks for your thoughts. I might have to do it to reduce my guilt for not getting a bigger tank just yet...

But not till the roundworm crisis is 100% for certain done with!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 am   Re: New tank !

Kingbird44 wrote:Hmm thanks for your thoughts. I might have to do it to reduce my guilt for not getting a bigger tank just yet...

But not till the roundworm crisis is 100% for certain done with!

Ah yes I remember! I hope it will soon be over!
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm   Re: New tank !

It's over in theory. But waiting for another stool sample check
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 am   Re: New tank !

Hello :)
It's been a long time! I was soooo busy with work, also I just came back from a trip in Europe. It was great! But holidays are now over :'(
I figured I would post here so I can share pictures of Shellby and Shelly, I took them 5min ago during their feeding time! Unfortunately I don't have time to make jello shots for them, so this year it was mainly pellets. But I am moving out soon and it will be a lot easier for me to do these things, I hope they won't mind too much lol! God knows how much they HATE veggies :roll:

As you can see my water is still clear, although it does have a very, VERY light green tint. But I don't mind algae in my tank and ponds if it's in small quantity and controlled. I am going to measure their shell next month to see how much they grew, but I don't think it was that much. I'm still very excited to build their pond, but I am waiting for them to outgrow their tank first.
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:59 am   Re: New tank !

Hey, welcome back! I was on a quick trip to Europe too, it was pretty nice. What kind of pond are you planning?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 pm   Re: New tank !

Hey steve :)

I'm not 100% sure yet, all I know is that I will keep the two ladies together, that I will add river rocks and water lettuce, and where my pond will be. Tbh I'm not a big fan of pond liners, so I am thinking a lot about other options.
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:32 am   Re: New tank !

Without a pond liner, your sizes might be limited. Outside of the usual Rubbermaid tanks, there are a few round ones that are 2 feet tall, 8 feet in diameter... roughly 625 gallon capacity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 am   Re: New tank !

I don't think I can find those here, but I do have other options. I really want some kind of preformed pond, I don't fully trust liners. I have time anyway :)
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 am   Re: New tank !

Still going to be in Mauritius ? What about at the docks , sometimes they may sell large pre-formed shipping containers that with creativity could work. The agricultural areas may have some unused containers or could suggest a supplier?

I would be afraid to guess an item in the bulk size and shape you want would cost for shipping even using air freight or DHL to you. ($$$$) :shock:
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:12 pm   Re: New tank !

Well it's my country, I don't plan on ever leaving :p Looking at the docks is a great idea, I didn't think about it! Something to add on my suggestion list :)
Actually, I talked about it with my dad and apparently my uncle made some kind of huge bassin in fibreglass last year, he wanted to place it in our hunting ground to let deer drink out of it or something like that. But he doesn't use it anymore. I'm going to ask him if he can give it to me.

And yes, I don't have that kind of money to ship some kind of pond lol
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:08 pm   Re: New tank !

If not too small for your plan what about 55 gallon water barrels / containers ( blue or gray ones) or the 55 gallon food grade type ( normally white ) used in shipping. Those colors are not used for chemicals , would be safe and strong. Lay on it's side cut into two long way's. Like the ones some people use for rain barrels.
That was my first outdoor tank decades ago. Took the two halves and bolted together with a gasket and or weather stripping to make them water tight. Had to cut a little dip in the middle so my guys could swim from one side to the other. Don't make the cut out to low or the shape of the barrel will get you as it did for me. Had to get another barrel and start over but I was 12 years old. Worked well for me at that time in the hobby.

PS : A common size food container we use by me to ship to the rig's in the gulf are the pallet type structural foam 4'x4'x4' holds about 470 gallon's , may be available at your docks.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 pm   Re: New tank !

It's noted, thank you litefoot :D

I also found a place that sells pre-made plastic ponds, and one caught my attention, it's quite big and deep enough. Ah, so many options! :mrgreen: :msgreen:
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 am   Re: New tank !

Maybe more in-line of what you would like is at Nabridas fish ponds ? Not knowing the size you would like , maybe check here : https://www.nabridas.mu/en/outdoor/fish-ponds

They have a few locations on the west side of island one may have something you like. If not , may be able to order something special for the girls ? :msgreen: :msgreen:
litefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery