Photo Gallery :: Philbert

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:19 pm   Philbert

Took some pictures of him today.. As you can see is definitely not camera shy..lol The last picture is Phil's own recipe for home made "Duck Weed" that he has taken upon himself to make.. I have seen him eat a few bites cause I have watched him closely.. He just started eating lettuce two days ago. But he much more prefers to make "Duck Weed" and "Swiss Lettuce" I don't mind gives him something to do in there.. :P

Steve if there is a way to resize these so they fit better please go ahead and change or let me know how I can do it myself for next time.. Cheers

Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 pm   Re: Philbert

Nice!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 pm   Re: Philbert

Pics look fine to me. I especially like the 2nd to last one :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 am   Re: Philbert

He is a character and he makes me laugh alot.. Have you ever seen a turtle float on his back? He does that too trying to get pellets when I am standing over the tank..

The pictures are cut in half.. Its lucky I must have had Phil on the left side of each frame or you wouldn't see all of him.. And the last one shows the corners of his tank where all his "Duck Weed" is.. but you can't see it from the pic..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:39 pm   Re: Philbert

I didn't know that some painteds were aggressive eaters like RES. Mine would practically somersault trying to grab food.

I usually read/reply on a computer, so large pics are usually not a problem.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:12 pm   Re: Philbert

He has a ferocious appetite.. I have to be strong not to give him more then he needs.. cause he would eat and eat and eat.. And he isn't picky about trying new foods.. One reason we settled on a painted was all the info said they are good beginner turtles just like RESs.. Easy to keep easy to feed.. Just decided on a paint hoping he doesn't get as big as the RES do..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm   Re: Philbert

He shouldn't get too big. Both my RES are small for their age, so I guess I lucked out a bit. My female RES is so used to her feeding schedule that she gets upset when I'm late. She knows she gets fed in the morning so she will thrash around the tank until I give it to her. Then she knows its dinner time and so she stops basking so she could be in the water and ready for her pellets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 pm   Re: Philbert

Morning feeding he has down.. its when you turn on the lights.. time to eat..lol Night time isn't so regimented anywhere between four and five so he doesn't demand food at that time yet.. But you just walk by his tank and its on..lol the frantic swimming at the glass move.. and I know he is way to small for the gravid thing..lol
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:14 pm   Re: Philbert

The funny thing is that all my lights are on timers, so she'll behave this way without seeing anyone. Same in the evening, she's just anticipating it.

One thing I've learned is that they have great internal clocks. When I dry dock them at night, I put them in a pitch-black closet. Just as the Sun is coming up and even though they don't see it, they're awake and ready to start their day.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:03 pm   Re: Philbert

[quote="steve"]The funny thing is that all my lights are on timers, so she'll behave this way without seeing anyone. Same in the evening, she's just anticipating it.

One thing I've learned is that they have great internal clocks. When I dry dock them at night, I put them in a pitch-black closet. Just as the Sun is coming up and even though they don't see it, they're awake and ready to start their day.[/quot
Why do you dry dock them at night?
AngelaAndMikey

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:20 pm   Re: Philbert

When I clean the filters, I also do a 100% water change. I use cold tap water, so it takes several hours to warm up and it's easier to just keep them out overnight. So in the morning the water is warmed up, the chlorine is gone and the tank is ready for the turtles. They celebrate by pooping right away.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:04 am   Re: Philbert

Thank you very much. I put my turtle Mikey in dry dock when she had a very bad eye infection and I had to give her medication for both eyes. She recovered after several months of treatment with 4 medications and the help of the veterinarian.
AngelaAndMikey

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:12 am   Re: Philbert

Several months is a long time, glad to know she recovered. Years ago I had to dry dock my RES for a few weeks (shell infection) and it was very difficult but she was a trooper :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Photo Gallery