Photo Gallery :: my turtles :D

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm   my turtles :D

Well this is my "little" girl Ilsa: she is about 9 inches and her weight is about 1,5 kg. She lives in a 100 liter aquarium till I can put her in a 200 liter indoor pond. I adopted her in 2012, she was bought as a child´s toy and after the child did not pay attention to her, child's parents decided to abandoned her, but I rescued her. She is about 2 and a half years now.

Then I bought Elvis as a normal red eared slider but then I discovered he is a Rio Grande RES. He dont have the "ear" divided but he has the typical coloration of a Rio Grande. He is about 6 inches now and his weight is about 290 grams, he is too thin so the vet told me to feed him with pellets some days a week more than normally. Last time the vet also told me that he was allergic to fish :S and thats because every time he ate fish he became so puffy, and his breath was so irregular. So since May he isn't eating fish. He eats a different pellet without fish, is "Wheat Germ for koi" from Tetra. He also has a infection on the shell, he is under treatment and doing all right. He is living in a 100 liter tank with a pleco fish.

Sam and Beth were bought as a child's toy and this summer I rescued them from a 20 liter tank for both turtles :( Now i'm preparing a 100 liter "pond" (with a tupper) for both of them. by now they re living in an old tank of about 40 liters. They re both about 6 inches. They are living in my grandparents house.

Sam:
Beth:

Sorry for the bad quality image, I'll try to took a better picture of him.
Last edited by sms15 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilsa: my fisr rescue (YBS)
Elvis: mum's boy (RES Rio Grande)
Sam: angry boy (YBSxCS)
Beth: the miracle (YBSxCS)
Luke: the little cutie (M.Reevesii)
In memorian: Osky (map turtle), Peach (YBS) and Rick (YBS), Unnamed (Leopard tortoise).
sms15

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 am   Re: my turtles :D

Very nice looking group :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 am   Re: my turtles :D

Thanks steve!
In memorian: Osky (map turtle), Peach (YBS) and Rick (YBS), Unnamed (Leopard tortoise).
sms15

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:32 pm   Re: my turtles :D

Well I have new pics of Sam and Beth, in the intro I forgot telling you about Beth's carapace... She wanted to grow but she didn't have space enough so her shell become deformed :( When I can I will take her to the vet to be sure all the organs are in good conditions, and to ask the vet if she could have a good life quality with her deformation.

Sam

Beth

sms15

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:19 am   Re: my turtles :D

I wouldn't worry about her internally. Was she overfed?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:10 pm   Re: my turtles :D

no, she was fed since she was a baby once every other day, but she only was fed on gammarus
sms15

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am   Re: my turtles :D

Update!

Ilsa is better in her new and bigger tank (finally not a pond, a tank :)) and she LOVES her basking zone

My super cute boy Elvis is doing great, no more shell infection and shedding well by the first time. He is a healthy turtle

Beth is better, in lots of ways. She is living in a 100 liter tank (the biggest to her because she cant swim well with her deformation so I follow vet's advices) and also she is lossing fear about people, for example she let me open her month to take a look and then close it, after this medical training I have her a treat and thats how we work together. Its very useful for vet checks (1 every 6 months for her) so when the vet wants to see her mouth open I just take her and "ask" her to open. She is a clever girl. She loves basking.

In November I took her to a vet, he told me it was a miracle that she has survive. Yesterday went to another vet (everything is ok but she had loose weith in the last month) and told me the same. This vet also told me that she was better of her deformation :) and that maybe in 1-2 years she ll be much better.

Sam is doing well, he is a surviver. Then I ll post a photo.

Not water turtle related but las November I rescued this beautiful baby leopard with metabolic bone disease (she couldnt move its legs) and found it a home, the vet and its owner do everything they could to save it but it die... It was beautiful. Anyway it die peacefully by the side of its owner and in a real home.
sms15

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 pm   Re: my turtles :D

They look great. I thought that was a real duck for a moment. Sorry about the Leo, it sounds like everyone tried :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm   Re: my turtles :D

Thank you Steve. The duck is a pvc one that really looks real, it was sell like a pond decoration and I thought Ilsa would like to have a plastic friend.

Everyone tried, but sadly some rescues just dont go as well as we want. Thank you for your words.
sms15

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 pm   Re: my turtles :D

It must have been heartbreaking. What did you do for Elvis's shell infection?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 am   Re: my turtles :D

Betadine (on the shell) and then dry docking. After the dry docking (2-3 hours with heat) I clean his shell and then I return him to his aquarium. During first 3-4 months (he started shedding the scutes and the infection was 100% exposed to betadine so he got much better) I did this treatment about 3 times a week. Then only one time a week and till now. Also when he started shedding I used silverderma to help a little. The vet told me this treatment, in some time he has a check to be sure everything is ok.
sms15

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:29 am   Re: my turtles :D

Do you think the Betadine had the most positive effect? I've had no luck with it and I don't think many people have had success either.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm   Re: my turtles :D

Yes. Betadine had the most positive effect.

Then I ll post a pic of my new rescue: a baby reeves turtle named Arizona
sms15

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:21 pm   Re: my turtles :D

Your turtles are so adorable. I could look at pictures all day. I love Ilsa's basking area. Did you make that?
PigsGrandma

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:18 pm   Re: my turtles :D

PigsGrandma wrote:Your turtles are so adorable. I could look at pictures all day. I love Ilsa's basking area. Did you make that?

Thank you, I will try to post more!!! I designed and decored Ilsa´s basking area and tank (it was a special desing just for her) but not made.

About the new baby...maybe I will keep him forever!!! Im sure he is a male, so I named him Luke yesterday. Anyway if I realice in the future that its a girl I will change it to Luck.

Luke is much better, today I build his tank (2 gallon) :

Luke basking a little, he loves it!
sms15

Next

Return to Photo Gallery