Online Links and Deals :: Recommending ReptileSupply.com for Canadians + coupon code

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 am   Recommending ReptileSupply.com for Canadians + coupon code

For us Canucks, I know it can be frustrating to see all the good deals you can get on the US sites, only to find that shipping from a US site costs an arm and a leg, and any Canadian site that carries the products costs twice the price (I'm talking to you, bigalsonline.ca!!! :evil:).

Anyhow, ReptileSupply had the 2.5lb box of Reptomin for the cheapest price, on sale currently for $22.99. (bigalsonline.ca carries it for $49.99!)
Now, the only thing is, for the one box of Reptomin, shipping was going to be about $21. BUT I was curious, and wondered how much shipping would be for two boxes of reptomin... For the two boxes of reptomin (over 5lbs total shipping weight), Shipping was only going to be $25.33, which works out to aprox $13 per box of reptomin, bringing the cost of each box to only $36, no taxes.
I threw in a couple packs of turtle bone (it was on sale too), and a digital thermom, and the shipping was still only $25.33.

I ordered it on the May 3, got a shipping notification on May 6, a tracking # on may 8, it left Miami on the 11, and it arrived here on the west coast of BC this morning. So really, the shipping time was only about a week through USPS + Canada Post.

As a Canadian customer, I'm pleased with them for their prices, shipping costs and shipping time. If you have a large reptile order you need to purchase, then I recommend checking out reptilesupply.com.

Also I found this coupon code for 10% off any order: B7JMHX
The coupon expires on August 31, 2008, and does not take off a discount on items that are already on sale.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:55 pm   

Ah thanks for that bull dog :) It really is frustrating to see the good deals only to find they don't ship to Canada :P
Cim*Forever

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:26 am   

You know, we need to get the Canadian pharmacies and the US pet stores in an exchange kind of program, that way everyone's happy! It sucks that US sites won't ship to Canada, though ...
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:44 am   

I agree, im sure they have their reasons though.
Cim*Forever

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:00 pm   

Hey
I just saw this post, not sure why I didn't see it before, but I was just wondering if you had to pay border tax or whatever. I love a lot of the turtle stuff that the American sites sell however I don't want to pay for the item, shipping and then find out I have to pay tax as well.

I live in Ontario...did you guys have to pay any taxes when you received your items?
3 Red Eared Sliders:
Tortuga
Kame
Kronos

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 pm   

Interestingly enough, I did not on this shipment.
I'm not sure how that all works. Sometimes I have to pay about $11 customs fees, and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if it's price related (I don't think I've had to pay customs on items under $50), or if it's something to do with how they ship it from the other end.

It's frustrating to not know when the customs fees apply, so I usually add them into my price when I'm calculating whether it's worth it or not when ordering from the US.
BullDog

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 pm   

Ok, so here's what I could gather from Canada Post website (http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... sp#1382717):

3.2.1 Customs Duties and Taxes
Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and/or taxes with few exceptions. Visit the CBSA web site at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/c ... u-eng.html for more information on mail imports. The CBSA collects provincial sales taxes (PST) on most taxable imports valued at over $20CDN entering Québec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The CBSA also collects Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) on most taxable imports entering Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

A handling fee of $5CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied ($8CDN for EMS items).

3.2.2 Mail Items Valued at Less Than $20CDN

The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less. However, this general rule does not apply to certain products including intoxicating beverages, cigars, cigarettes, manufactured tobacco, and publications where the supplier is required to register under the Excise Tax Act. Also, this may not be combined with other exemptions.

3.2.3 Gifts

Gifts from friends and relatives, valued at $60CDN or less, are duty and tax exempt. In cases where the gift is valued at more than $60CDN, the CBSA will assess duties and taxes on the excess amount. Items being sent as goods ordered from a commercial business and addressed to a consumer in Canada are not eligible as gifts.

Hope this helps!
BullDog

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:36 pm   

There are guidelines on the customs page. It depends on what information is given to customs when it is being shipped. Under some circumstances, items under $60 are not charged customs. It has been a while since I have bought anything cross-border, so I am no longer familiar with the exact details.
Bev

135 gallons of water, 65 gallons of basking area
Squishy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:06 pm   

oh okay...Thanks everyone you've helped a lot. Alright well I think maybe its time to buy more turtle stuff and perhaps I'll try ReptileSupply. :) I'll take the gamble lol
3 Red Eared Sliders:
Tortuga
Kame
Kronos

Return to Online Links and Deals