Online Links and Deals :: Are you a Petco or Petsmart shopper?

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:52 pm   Are you a Petco or Petsmart shopper?

I'm just curious if you have different opinions about these two competing pet store, which one is your favorite and why? :)
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm   

I occasionally visit both stores, depending on what I'm looking for. The two stores near me don't carry exactly the same lines of products. If they do carry the same product, Petsmart tends to be a little cheaper. If you shop on their websites and at least for Petsmart, if you see a product that's sold less expensively than in the store, they will match the on-line price if you print it out and show them.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 pm   

Yeah, I know Petsmart do the online price match which is quite nice of them to do it, however, I don't think Petco do it anymore, last time when I was trying to online price match with Petco, they are trying to add 8 dollar shipping on top of it(which wasn't very nice of them), I got away with it luckily and recently I also noticed Petco.com specificaly stress that it's "Online price" only, which leads me assuming they won't do online price match anymore...

I agree with you that they both do carry different products, and Petsmart is usually cheaper, and cleaner too. But just for the price match, I would definitly go for Petsmart :wink:
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:10 pm   

Neither stores are near me but I occasionally order from Petsmart.com
Last edited by steve on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 pm   

I sometimes shop at both. Petsmart is a little cheaper but Petco has more of the products I need. Really, though, I do almost all my shopping these days on-line. Sometimes I'll buy on-line from Petsmart but usually I wind up with one of the others
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:29 pm   

i like petsmart. i think its alot cleaner, more products and better service. i was wanting to get some fish from petco once so i stood around the fish area and waited for someone to help me. after about 10 min i went and asked a lady at the register who said someone will be over shortly. 15 or 20 min and another trip to the register lady later, i decided i would get the fish myself since no one will help me. apparently, thats frowned upon at petco.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:18 am   

I would say a Petsmart shopper obviously because I work there. A Petco just opend across the street from us and I have been in there also. The one thing I notice is Petco has some nicer and brighter aquraium ornaments that I like better. I too have experienced the lack of customer service there. Noone there seems to really want to help anyone. Many of my customers come in weekly telling me of there dissatisfaction with Petco. Funny thing is that them opening hace really hurt our business at all. I think if people (at least in my area) want good customer service they come to our store, if they want to run in and run out the may go to Petco. Just my opinon from working at my store, obviously all stores are completely different.
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
MamaLou

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:19 am   

Daniel3507 wrote:15 or 20 min and another trip to the register lady later, i decided i would get the fish myself since no one will help me. apparently, thats frowned upon at petco.

ROFL!! :D That's awesome! I would've loved to have been there to see that! I may try that myself someday. :twisted: Yeah they always have angry customers waiting for someone to help them and long lines at the registers. I don't think they pay very well or something since their employees sound pretty bad everywhere. I only go there because they are the closest pet store to me (and that's 20 minutes away). But there is a new Petsmart going up a few blocks down the street from them that I am eagerly waiting to check out once they open. I really like that they will price match their website prices. Petco refuses to do that.
DavidY

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 am   

i didnt know that petsmart matched the online price. im definitely going to take advantage of that.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 pm   

I go to petsmart when I'm at home (I know where several petsmarts nearby are but have no clue where the petcos are) and I go to PetCo at school most of the time. I usually just get crickets for my frog at PetCo, which is good because over the past year, I've learned that the PetCo I go to generally has no idea what they're doing. And they are sorely lacking in products and animals. The only time I've gone to PetSmart at school was both times I bought a pacman frog because the nearest one is about 20 minutes away and I don't have a car.
For Donatello, I've mostly been shopping online for everything he needs besides his new 20 gallon breeder tank.
jes
powerofvoodoo

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:19 pm   

um... I do petsmart for simple supplies, petco if petsmart doesn't have it and big al's for everything i could ever imagine
Ruby~ Chihuahua
Albert~ Goldfish
Preston and Steve~ Baby RES turtles
Petey and Polly~ the Plecos
urbancleopatra

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:51 pm   

I have 2 Petsmarts near me, and I like them both. On line shopping at Petsmart is good, too. I don't have a Petco near me, but there is a Pet Supermarket. I was only in there once, and looked "ok". Petland here is really expensive, and they sell puppies at an outrageous price. I think it's almost like "puppy mill".
1 RES, Sheba
1 Whippet, Sonic
gameragirl

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:00 pm   

i work at a petstore and i have also noticed that customer service is horrible at petco, that will be our advatige when petco moves to the new store their building a few miles away.
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:13 pm   

i am about 1 hour away from each. I go to- Fish and Pets, Petland, PetCo, and Petsmart every once in a while though.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
emma

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 pm   

We don't have those here.

:D lol
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Next

Return to Online Links and Deals